• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Desert Ants In Arid Areas of the Sierras?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 16 2019 - 5:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
So, I go on a trip to a very arid area of the Eastern Sierras every year, and I have been wondering whether or not desert species could be there. I am taking about species like Pheidole gilvescens or Myrmecocystus, as they have been spotted in areas south of the area. I am simply curious, as it would mean, if yes, that I should probably study them. All opinions are welcome!

Edited by NickAnter, May 16 2019 - 5:32 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 17 2019 - 11:02 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I visited my uncle who owns a mountain house near Lake Tahoe a few years back, and all we really saw were large Camponotus and Aphaenogaster, presumably Camponotus laevigatus and Aphaenogaster occidentalis. I think at one point we may have spotted a Manica sp. worker, but I may be mistaken. We were at approximately ~6500 ft elevation and the area was heavily forested, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if the east Sierras were a completely different case.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 17 2019 - 5:37 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The area I go to is maybe 30-40 miles south of Lake Tahoe, and is quite arid.  We camp next to a creek, and around the creek( up to30 yards away from)there was Camponotus modoc, parasitic Formica, Dorymyrmex insanus, Pogonomyrmex, Lasius, and Formica argentea. However, last time that i went, I was not as interested in ants, and did not look for small, nocturnal species, such as Pheidole, or other, more cryptic genuses, like Aphaenogaster.  The altitude there is also about 6500 feet, but if go much farther away from the creek, it is practically a desert. 

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users