• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster laeviuscula

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted August 23 2019 - 7:42 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Today my crematogaster got her first nanitics after waiting a month and they look great! I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. Also she has tons of pupae and brood still which really surprises me. Also my other Crematogaster laeviuscula queen only has larvae and was captured a week after, she also has a dent in her gaster should I brood boost her or see what happens? Is this species polygynous because I haven’t found much information on it, Thanks!
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 23 2019 - 8:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
How did you ID your Crematogaster to species level?
  • Amazant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Amazant - Posted August 23 2019 - 8:11 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

How did you ID your Crematogaster to species level?

I did some research on the internet and found images of my exact queen and some information about them. Also these ones have a significant different appearance compared to a lot of the other crematogaster species.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 24 2019 - 7:32 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Congrats on the nanitics!

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline Amazant - Posted August 24 2019 - 5:23 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
3 days after capture

Yesterday’s pictures of her and her first two nanitics

I’m really excited for this queen :D

Edited by Amazant, August 25 2019 - 6:10 AM.

• Penguin, ANTdrew and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 25 2019 - 3:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! Crematogaster are the very best!
  • Antennal_Scrobe and Amazant like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline Amazant - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:39 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
She has more than 8 nanitics now and she still has a huge brood pile of pupae and some eggs!
Also can anyone help me with my Formica Subsericea Queen, she has been doing great and had 9 pupae and today she only had 6 and had eaten one of the workers that enclosed today it was cut in half and was dried out, thanks for any help. :(

#8 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:42 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Maybe give the Formica queen half a mealworm. Of course she is fully claustral, but if she has raised some workers it couldn't hurt to replenish her protein reserves. Otherwise just hope for the best.

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, August 26 2019 - 6:42 PM.

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 27 2019 - 2:41 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Without careful microscopic examination and comparison with accurately identified specimens most Crematogaster are nearly impossible to Id to species.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#10 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 27 2019 - 8:40 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Yep. I always just refer to the different species by general appearance or by arbitrary numerical designations. Couldn't be anywhere near as bad as Myrmica though. Those all look the same and half of them aren't even named. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#11 Offline Amazant - Posted August 27 2019 - 2:27 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Thanks for the advice, I’ll give her a mealworm if she kills the next worker that encloses which will happen in probably 2 days so I’ll check on her probably Friday night just to make her less stressed out and if she kills the worker I’ll give her the mealworm or if the worker does live I’ll give them a mealworm either way, also my crematogaster is doing well and her first workers are now foraging around. Also, fingers crossed I could be getting one of my favourite types of ants! Don’t worry it’s in my city. But it might not happen but I hope it works out.

#12 Offline Amazant - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:52 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I use Vaseline for all my ants and it worked last year but then this year every single one of my colonies has had an escapee! Should I invest in Pdfe or is my outworld not suitable. Most of my colonies are in tubs and tubes setups.

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:54 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I use Vaseline for all my ants and it worked last year but then this year every single one of my colonies has had an escapee! Should I invest in Pdfe or is my outworld not suitable. Most of my colonies are in tubs and tubes setups.

Plain baby powder is very effective.

• Amazant likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline Amazant - Posted August 31 2019 - 7:12 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
So no rubbing alcohol just baby powder? Also how would you apply it.
The crematogaster Queen is doing good she now has 11 nanitics and a still large pile of pupae, my second crematogaster has had pupae for a few days and is doing well, she also has a deformity or damage on her gaster.

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 1 2019 - 5:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
To contain Crematogaster you need fluon applied on overhanging lip or cut out lid. They can’t hang upside down on the fluon.
Baby powder may work awhile, but I think a big colony would just wear out a path. Crematogaster are just hell-bent on wandering/escaping. It’s their nature.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 1 2019 - 6:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I think for Crematogaster it would be worth giving them a very large outworld or multiple outworlds.

#17 Offline Amazant - Posted September 1 2019 - 11:26 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Okay thanks, I’ll be saving up some money for some fluon meanwhile I’ll just closely watch the colony.

#18 Offline Amazant - Posted September 1 2019 - 12:26 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I caught another crematogaster today! she is a lot different she is a silvery black and is a lot more bulky.

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 1 2019 - 4:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice! You’re having a lucky year.

#20 Offline Amazant - Posted September 1 2019 - 7:56 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I guess so! I had bad luck in spring and early summer finding a huge Camponotus I tried to catch as it landed but then decided to fly again, then I found two pennsylvanicus that were infertile, a small queen who died after laying an egg then a parasitic queen while I had no hosts. But now everything’s going good. I even ran out of homes so I bought some extra tubs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users