• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Tetrararium Journal

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 30 2019 - 8:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Tetramorium, Camponotus and parasitic Formica species are my favorite natives. If you count the tetras as native, which in my books they are as they found their place in the world.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 30 2019 - 8:23 AM.

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2019 - 1:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would call them naturalized instead of native. The label native is somewhat arbitrary, but a typical definition is what was living here before European colonists came.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 30 2019 - 2:03 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I would call them naturalized instead of native. The label native is somewhat arbitrary, but a typical definition is what was living here before European colonists came.

That’s what I meant.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 1 2019 - 5:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I moved Hel ,my new 2019 queen, into a mini-hearth yesterday. The process only took a few hours; I love how easy Tetras are to move. This micro colony is very active, and they crushed some termites that I gave them.
  • Kaelwizard and Acutus like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2019 - 10:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-26-2019

This colony continues to do well in their dirt terrarium. It's not pretty looking at all anymore, though, since everything is getting covered up with clay. Even one of the violets is slowly getting buried and will probably die. There are still a ton of springtails, though, and I even see them moving around on the surface sometimes now. There are so many springtails that mold is a non-issue with this set up. I'm hoping that when I hibernate them the Tetras will dig down deep, so I can start removing dirt they've deposited.

I wouldn't be surprised if I start getting alates with this colony next year, but who knows?

Crazy hemp seeds feeding frenzy:

My new queen, Hel, is doing excellent. She just started getting a bunch of full size workers and has a huge brood pile. They are happy in their mini-hearth.

Edited by ANTdrew, August 26 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#46 Offline Oddyseous - Posted August 26 2019 - 10:59 AM

Oddyseous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Looking Good!

• ANTdrew likes this

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 12 2019 - 9:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-11-2019

Not much to update other than that this colony continues to grow and feed like crazy. They empty out a tall byFormica liquid feeder in just a few days now. For next year, I plan to hook a whole new big nest to this tank to provide more space for their growth, or else I could just hook a similar tank to this one filled with more of their favorite clay.

Here is a dubia roach feeding frenzy the other night:

Their tank used to look pretty like this. It's just like what we humans are doing to planet earth. Holy crap!

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 27 2019 - 11:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-27-2019

My mega-colony continues to do great in their dirt tank, though I think it may be getting a bit crowded for them. These girls are incredibly voracious; yesterday I fed them a spoonful of cooked quinoa, 4 large crickets, and six mealworms, and they crushed all the food. They've been mounding up big amounts of dirt recently, so they must be doing a lot of excavating. I'll definitely need  to hook another dirt tank to their set up next year. At that point, I'll need to move these down in my basement with a heat lamp.

Photo of mounded dirt:

All the white dots in here are the resident springtails. They like to hang out in the gravel drainage layer:

My new queen, Hel is doing great as well. She should hit 100 workers very soon.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 27 2019 - 11:17 AM.

• Mettcollsuss and Pumpkin_Loves_Ants like this

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 2 2019 - 11:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Aghhhhhhhhhh! Big breakout happened with my mega-colony. They’ve excavated so much soil that it reached the lip of their barrier this morning. My wife was home and found a whole swarm of them moving into a potted plant and covering our pantry. You can imagine how pleased she was. I rushed home and pulled the set up outside and removed almost a pound of soil. I also renewed the fluon. Several hundred were lost in this ordeal. I think they desperately need more space! I won’t give up on them in any case.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 4 2019 - 4:42 PM.

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts, rbarreto and 2 others like this

#50 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted October 2 2019 - 12:58 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

At this point you should just buy a big fish tank, follow the Ants Australia tutorial, and drop in the terrarium.

• Mettcollsuss, ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 2 2019 - 1:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

At this point you should just buy a big fish tank, follow the Ants Australia tutorial, and drop in the terrarium.

That’s a pretty good idea. I think it may be easier to hook this tank to a new one via tubing, though. All that would take up a lot of space.
I have them contained outside for now. Hopefully I can make it to diapause because I need a break from this colony. For real.

#52 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 4 2019 - 5:47 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I'm am going to try really hard to find a queen of these this year. It turns out that there is a colony just a few miles away from me!
  • Mettcollsuss, ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#53 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 4 2019 - 3:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It shouldn’t be too hard to find one if you have colonies around.

#54 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 4 2019 - 4:08 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Definitely cheaper than a THA Formicaium, that's for sure lol 

It's insane how high-priced some of his formicariums are

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#55 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 5 2019 - 11:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I'm am going to try really hard to find a queen of these this year. It turns out that there is a colony just a few miles away from me!

There are probably colonies right around you that you do not know about lol. Tetramorium and Lasius spp. Are the dominating species in my neighborhood.

#56 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 5 2019 - 11:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I live in Orange County. This is the first recorded instance of them being here. And sadly, they fly when I am in school. They are probably rather rare.

Edited by NickAnter, April 7 2020 - 5:38 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2019 - 12:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’re in school at 6:00am?!?

#58 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 5 2019 - 2:09 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

You realize you're not going to be the only teacher on Formiculture, right? Statistically it was bound to happen one day if you don't count Ant_Dude as a Camponotous teacher.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#59 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2019 - 2:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You realize you're not going to be the only teacher on Formiculture, right? Statistically it was bound to happen one day if you don't count Ant_Dude as a Camponotous teacher.
Woah, are you a teacher, too? School’s OVER for me when Tetras fly in any case.

#60 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 5 2019 - 2:25 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Woah, are you a teacher, too? School’s OVER for me when Tetras fly in any case.

When is school over where you teach?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users