• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Camponotus hyatti Journal(DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 9 2019 - 7:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
That is what I was thinking.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#62 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 17 2019 - 10:58 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I removed the male days ago, and there is another large larvae, slightly longer than the worker. It is skinny, like the worker larva was before jt pupated, and unlike the male one. Hopefully it is a female larva.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 3:49 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#63 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 25 2019 - 7:46 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
It pupated a few days ago and it looks like it is going to be another darn male. Hopefully their other larvae are female, and it was not a whole batch of trophic eggs that hatched.

#64 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 1 2019 - 9:36 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well the queen must have laid more eggs because thy have some small first instar larvae, and some larger ones as well.   Hopefully the larvae that is the size of the worker will pupate very soon.  The suspected male cocoon has darkened. 

#65 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2019 - 8:31 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Disaster! I stupidly knocked the mini hearth off my dest and it shattered the foraging area. A worker pupa was lost, but nothing else. They currently have 2 larvae, a male, and a worker. All in all, doing terribly. It will probably be a month before they get another worker, maybe longer.

#66 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2019 - 6:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Amazingly, this queen is still alone and alive, worker died mysteriously months ago.  She is currently very fat on honey, and will be put in diapause for 6 weeks.  She will hopefully lay again afterwards.

#67 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 10 2020 - 4:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Still alive. I put her in hibernation for a few months, and today I took her out.

#68 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 8 2020 - 5:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Still alive. I have been feeding her sugar water and the occasional mealworm, and she has finally accepted a mealworm. If she lays eggs, I will just treat her like a semi-claustral queen, and hope for the best. I really like this species, so I really hope that she can found a colony again.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 3:50 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#69 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 16 2020 - 3:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

She laid an egg!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: I have been waiting so long. I will now just feed her some sugar water and occasionally a bit of mealworm. I really hope she is successful, as it still haunts me to this day knocking over the mini-hearth.

#70 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 17 2020 - 4:22 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

nice! my queen still refuses to get up lol

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#71 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 17 2020 - 5:02 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Reminds me of when my cat knocked over my Lasius tubes.

Edited by AntsDakota, March 17 2020 - 5:04 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#72 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 28 2020 - 5:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Two eggs! And they look like they are about to hatch!

#73 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 28 2020 - 5:19 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Nice!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#74 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 4 2020 - 9:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

She has a larva! Her tube was being taken over by mold, so I moved her to a petri dish with cotton wool pads. I have been feeding her mealworms, and sugar water, as well as THA's complete ant juice supplement.

Her eggs then were sadly crushed by me. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

She soon layed another egg though. Now it is a small larva!!! :yahoo:

Hopefully, in about a month, she will have a worker. This time, there shall be no mistakes. They will be in a test tube inside a foraging container, so there will be NO issues.

I will keep her on her current diet.

• AntsDakota and TheMicroPlanet like this

#75 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck! I found six new Camponotus queens yesterday.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#76 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:33 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

For us, flights start in a couple weeks.

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#77 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 4 2020 - 11:13 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I missed the Camponotus flights, as I was not able to go anywhere that they flew. I might find one or two vicinus in the Eastern Sierra's though. And there is a possibility of getting C. fragilis. But that is low. So I'm very hopeful that this queen will pull through.

• AntsDakota likes this

#78 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 11:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I might find one or two vicinus in the Eastern Sierra's though

I'll have to look for these next time I go to the Black Hills.

#79 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 3 2021 - 11:17 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This queen died a very long time ago. Never updated the journal.

#80 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 3 2021 - 11:56 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

This queen died a very long time ago. Never updated the journal.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get more this season!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users