• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Camponotus hyatti Journal(DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 13 2019 - 6:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Edit: nevermind.

Edited by NickAnter, June 13 2019 - 6:46 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#42 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 14 2019 - 2:24 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Pictures of the larva:
  • rbarreto likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#43 Offline Acutus - Posted June 14 2019 - 2:57 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

WOW! that's a beast of a larva! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#44 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 14 2019 - 4:39 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yeah! It is crazy!!!!

#45 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 15 2019 - 6:58 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
It pupated!!!

#46 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 15 2019 - 7:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Your gonna have one huge major.... Hopefully not an alate!

#47 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 15 2019 - 9:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I hope not. If it were an alate, it would be a male. Hopefully it is a media, or a a small major. This species largest majors are as big as the queens!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#48 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2019 - 2:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Since getting a a heating cable, they have moved as close as they can to the heat cable, which is good. They don't have much else to report though, except that I can see the cocoon is far too small to be a male, probably a media.

Edited by NickAnter, June 18 2019 - 2:03 PM.

#49 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 22 2019 - 8:03 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, they are doing well, they have more larvae, and the pupa is getting darker. The sugar water crystalized without me realizing it, so they almost starved. I refilled it yesterday. The queen is still skinny though, so I am somewhat worried. Hopefully they will fatten up again. Otherwise, they are doing well.

Edited by NickAnter, June 22 2019 - 8:04 AM.

#50 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2019 - 9:45 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They have about fifteen larva, the cocoon is still not that dark yet, so likely over a week before it will eclose. They seen fine overall. They are still hanging out in the nestmate are, even though I hydrated the nest. I guess they are just trying to get closer to the heating cable.

#51 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 30 2019 - 4:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, two days ago, I put in a dead mealworm, and they pulled it down into the nest. Otherwise, nothing to report except growing larvae.

#52 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 1 2019 - 7:22 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, this morning it was covered in mold, so I took it out by removing the front pane of glass, and sliding a pocket knife blade underneath the mealworm, and then bringing it out. Neither the queen or worker even attempted to escape. They are so calm.

Edited by NickAnter, July 3 2019 - 10:20 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#53 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2019 - 10:19 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, I accidentaly knocked the Mini Hearth over, so it flooded. I was able to get most of the water back into the reservoir by tilting. The pupa got the most in the water, but it does not look totally saturated. Will it be okay?

#54 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 3 2019 - 10:30 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
It should.

#55 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2019 - 10:31 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Good. I figured that because ants keep pupa in drier ares of the nest that it could be harmed by the water.

Edited by NickAnter, July 3 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#56 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2019 - 2:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here is a picture of part of the queen and part of the pupa:

Picture of just the worker:

Picture of worker eating mealworm:

Edited by NickAnter, July 5 2019 - 2:31 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2019 - 2:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Congrats!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#58 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2019 - 3:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thanks!!

#59 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 9 2019 - 7:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, the pupa eclosed and it is sadly a male. Here is a picture, it is still very pale, as it just eclosed:
The worker is underneath the male.

Edited by NickAnter, July 9 2019 - 7:27 AM.

#60 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 9 2019 - 7:27 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Take the male out as soon as possible. I would feed him to the colony. He is useless to such a young colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users