• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Camponotus hyatti Journal(DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 28 2019 - 4:55 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Can you describe your queen, I’m having a lot of trouble determining whether or not my queen is C. hyatti. Pictures would be best, but if you aren’t able to take pictures, it’s perfectly fine. I just want to know the coloration of the gaster. Is it all black, or does it have some red/orange on it?

Edited by CatsnAnts, May 28 2019 - 4:55 PM.

Spoiler

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:51 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
My queen's gaster is all black, the thorax is a nice light red/orange color, and the head is maroon. If your's has red on the gaster, I have no idea of what species it is.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:54 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Update: They accepted the cricket leg, and I put in a THA liquid feeder for them, so that they would likely not succumb to me forgetting to feed them.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 29 2019 - 6:37 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

My queen's gaster is all black, the thorax is a nice light red/orange color, and the head is maroon. If your's has red on the gaster, I have no idea of what species it is.

Thxs! :D

Spoiler

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 2:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
No problem!

#26 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 3:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, they are doing fine, except that I have not yet seen the worker drinking from the feeder.  They have a growing brood pile composing of 2nd instar larvae and one or two 3rd instar. All in all, a healthy colony! :yes:

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Edit: pics will come in the morning, when lighting is better.  Also, that 3rd instar larva will soon be a fourth instar.  I also just saw the worker filling up on sugar water! :D

Edited by NickAnter, May 31 2019 - 5:52 PM.

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 1 2019 - 2:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Congrats!!!!
I got a clip on macro lens for my phone for $10.99 on Amazon.
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2019 - 6:02 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thanks! I will definetly be getting a macro lens as well so that the pictures are not compromised by zoom.

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2019 - 6:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Picture of the bloated queen, her worker and brood pile:
  • Karma likes this

#31 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2019 - 6:10 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here is another pic which shows off the queen, once again, sorry for the bad quality:
  • Barristan and Karma like this

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2019 - 5:44 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, they certainly seem protein hungry, but that makes sense, all their larvae.  They have eaten almost the whole cricket leg, and have sucked all the juice out of a mealworm head.  The third instar larva is starting to grow into a fourth.  They now also have about five more second instar larvae.  Not much more stuff, so I will wait until the larva pupates to take another picture.

#33 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2019 - 3:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

That larva is now bigger than the worker, and is the other larvae have grown. It seems that she laid a few more eggs as well.  :)   Will post pics tomorrow.

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2019 - 5:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, a decided that I would post a picture of them today. Here you go:
  • Acutus likes this

#35 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2019 - 5:53 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I'm getting better with the pictures. I have found setting the magnifier lower, and holding my phone closer, helps a lot. As you can see in the picture, the eggs are very elongate, which is interesting, as the eggs she laid earlier in her life, were not.

#36 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 7 2019 - 6:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I put in two thirds of a mealworm, and the worker devoured it.  I also need to change the nestmate, as it is almost empty. It is still amazing how bloated that queen is on sugar water, and the worker as well! Anyway, do any of you have tips on getting the nestmate successfully out of the nest without escapees?

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 7 2019 - 6:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Sounds like they are doing well. To change the nestmate, just have the plug that came with the formicarium handy and put that in while you work on refilling. You could also use a cotton wad. Be careful how you fill the nestmate, so you don't flood the nest.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#38 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 7 2019 - 2:24 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thank you!  I was planning to use a cotton wad, as I can't find the plug that came with the formicarium.  Ugh, disorganization! :facepalm: Thanks again!

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 9 2019 - 2:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, I changed the nestmate yesterday, and good thing too, as it had nasty black mold in it.  The larva has doubled in size!  :o    I guess it will jst be a very large worker.  It just seems way too early for them to get a media or major.  Or is the size difference very great between the first nanitic and later ones?  Well hopefully it will pupate soon! :thinking:

• ANTdrew likes this

#40 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 13 2019 - 6:00 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

That larva has just gotten bigger!  Do any of you have any idea why it is getting so big?  I really hope it is not an alate!  is it possible that it could turn into a small major/media? I will post pictures of it tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users