• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Atta texana journal 2019

22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline yen_saw - Posted July 2 2019 - 11:08 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationHouston

The colony continue to grow with more fungus and more workers pupated. I placed few pieces of Chinese tallow and 1-minute oat. They happily accepted the oat meal but discard the leave.

IMG_6325_zpstvwsfmwi.jpg

I counted more and more workers the following week.....

1933457570_zpssuilc5iw.jpg

1126338243_zpsumz30wle.jpg

Decided to split this colony into 3 individual queen set up. I split up some fungus and brood/workers among the three queen and hopefully each will form a colony by itself.

717368785_zpsapfv6y3j.jpg

• Canadian anter, FSTP, Ant_Dude2908 and 3 others like this

#22 Offline yen_saw - Posted July 7 2019 - 5:50 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationHouston

So exactly two months since the collecting date, each of the colony that I have separated (from 3-queen colony) into individual set up is finally self-sustained and able to cut leaves. I foresee the fungus will grow quickly from now with constant supply of food plant. Besides this experimental group, I also have other queens that are doing well with single-queen or dual-queen set up. I won't be able to take care of all and will put up some Atta texana queens for adoption soon.

1842498272_zpszprn3smm.jpg

1961119503_zpsg14wo3uq.jpg

672603730_zpsl9gxwlcg.jpg

• Ant_Dude2908 and ANTdrew like this

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2019 - 6:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Amazing! You should play lottery because you’re one lucky dude.
  • Ant_Dude2908 likes this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users