• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ponera adventures.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 22 2020 - 10:07 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Today is the start of my days of keeping ponera and possibly hypoponera.
I made a small nest closely resembling a bull ant nest made in australia. I made the nest with firebrick and grout first i carved a firebrick nest that was very small for around 3-4 ponera workers that's it. I grouted the bottom of a ant shack small outworld and put the nest in and it is drying now. I plan on going out and catching a founding colony of hypoponera or ponera to get them settled into a dirt nest until my new nest drys. If in any case i find any stenamma, strugmingys, or any other queen ant that has to eat food during founding i will put them into this nest. I am leaving very soon and going to hunt for them I will record what I get soon.

Edited by KitsAntVa, October 22 2020 - 11:49 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 22 2020 - 11:19 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

myrmecia live in VA?

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 22 2020 - 11:32 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

myrmecia live in VA?

Of course not, read what he said again:

"I made a small nest closely resembling a bull ant nest made in australia." resembling a bull ant nest.

Edited by TechAnt, October 22 2020 - 11:34 AM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline AleeGuy - Posted October 22 2020 - 11:40 AM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Good luck!

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 22 2020 - 12:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

myrmecia live in VA?

No, but the genus MyrmiciNa does, it’s related to Myrmica.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 22 2020 - 1:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Today is the start of my days of keeping ponera and possibly hypoponera.
I made a small nest closely resembling a bull ant nest made in australia. I made the nest with firebrick and grout first i carved a firebrick nest that was very small for around 3-4 ponera workers that's it. I grouted the bottom of a ant shack small outworld and put the nest in and it is drying now. I plan on going out and catching a founding colony of hypoponera or ponera to get them settled into a dirt nest until my new nest drys. If in any case i find any stenamma, strugmingys, or any other queen ant that has to eat food during founding i will put them into this nest. I am leaving very soon and going to hunt for them I will record what I get soon.

Strumigenys won't last long in a nest like that unless you can keep the humidity very high and very constant. how shallow are the nest chambers?

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 22 2020 - 1:26 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
They are pretty shallow about as big as a Formica nanitic which is small and I have a nestmate attached to the nest as well as a grouted outworld which the nest is sitting in.
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users