• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Yá'át'ééh from New Jersey!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Boog - Posted May 11 2019 - 2:32 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Yá'át'ééh (Hello in Navajo) fellow ant folks!

New member here, just wanted to share some photos of my first ant colony. I got a C. pennsylvanicus queen with a dozen workers last year through a fellow around July of 2018 and survived our first diapause over winter. I'm now up to around 100 workers and I've been thoroughly enjoying having a colony to observe. I founded her in a test tube but moved them into their formicarium around March, might already be in need of a larger nest and planning an expansion. I wanted to build my own nest and out world after becoming obsessed with antkeeping these last few years thanks to YouTube channels dedicated to the hobby so here's my setup. I hope to share more photos and posts in the future as my colony grows and also my journey on setting up the formicarium.

gallery_4140_1524_82029.jpggallery_4140_1524_888036.jpggallery_4140_1524_1394177.jpggallery_4140_1524_936402.jpg

Edited by Boog, May 11 2019 - 2:37 AM.

• drtrmiller, FeedTheAnts and rbarreto like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted May 11 2019 - 5:38 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yá'át'ééh !! And welcome to the Madness!!! Your setup looks amazing! I just got into this myself and am currently keeping a few different species but I am partial to the Camponotus! I have a C. pennsylvanicus Queen in a Test Tube setup now, a pretty good size C. chromaiodes colony, and I just captured a small colony of C. castaneus!

We'll see ya around!

OH, btw are you Navajo?

• TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 11 2019 - 7:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Welcome! Some heat will make all the difference in Camponotus. My pennslyvanicus are kept in a drawer in a constant 82 degrees. All were caught in early April, and now have pupae!
  • Boog likes this

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 11 2019 - 2:21 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!  

• AntsBC likes this

#5 Offline Boog - Posted May 11 2019 - 4:34 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

OH, btw are you Navajo?

Yep, in our language we call ourselves Diné. I was born and raised in New Mexico, I wish I could've had an ant forum to learn from as a kid when I was putting red harvester ants in jars.

• Acutus likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#6 Offline Boog - Posted May 11 2019 - 4:42 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Welcome! Some heat will make all the difference in Camponotus. My pennslyvanicus are kept in a drawer in a constant 82 degrees. All were caught in early April, and now have pupae!

I was worried about keeping the heat regulated, I had to learn the micro climate of the nest and observe how the colony reacts. They evacuated the brood when I didn't notice that it got up to over 86 degrees, queen was still in there but I unplugged the cable.

I have the heat on a timer and it doesn't become an issue if I keep on top of it. It's surprising seeing a colony double in population when a brood batch comes around. I mainly feed crickets, fruit flies, and chicken pieces for protein and so far seems to be working.

#7 Offline Boog - Posted May 11 2019 - 4:44 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Welcome to the forum!  

Thanks! I've been using this forum as a resource for the last year and learned a lot around here. Glad to become a member and share my colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users