• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Aaron's Camponotus snellingi Journal (Updated 6/12/19)

camponotus myrmentoma camponotussnellingi snellingi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 8 2019 - 2:33 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus snellingi

Camponotus snellingi is a species in the Myrmentoma subgenus that is known only from the American southeast. They're most morphologically similar to Camponotus decipiens and Camponotus nearcticus, but are known for having black and yellow on their gasters. Some populations completely lack the black gaster coloration and are fully orange.

On May 1, 2019, at around 8:30-9:00PM, at my black light I found three weirdly small queens of what I'm currently identifying as Camponotus snellingi. I found a fourth one the following night. These queens flew at dusk (I think snellingi are usually day fliers like decipiens?) and are a much darker red than "typical" snellingi queens which seem to be more of an orange color rather than maroon red, with much less yellow on their gasters. They lack the head pubescence of discolor and caryae. They measure only 8-9 millimeters whereas normal queens can be 11-12 mm according to other people that have caught this species. A couple of the queens I caught have slightly more yellow than the others. 

One of the queens laid her first egg on May 6 and shed her wings on May 8. The other three have yet to do so but I expect them to lay soon. I doubt that only one is fertile.

May 1, 2019

c2JRdG7.jpg

May 6, 2019

O0MulyO.jpg

May 8, 2019

e6skgNE.jpg

EtUDPRU.jpg

ykXwUI4.jpg

Acx6IC4.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 12 2019 - 2:05 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and rbarreto like this

#2 Online NickAnter - Posted May 13 2019 - 5:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Good luck, and I too agree with your identification of Camponotus snellingi, the coloration fits perfectly.

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(1 tube with 8 queens, one fertile)

---Monomorium ergatognya(1) Pheidole navigans(3 separate queens) Hypoponera spp. (2 separate queens)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#3 Offline souljah212 - Posted May 14 2019 - 6:02 AM

souljah212

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nice. Is using a black light to capture them easier? Been waiting to get some since moving to Florida. I did catch what I believe to be a monomorium Pharaoh last week. And she’s Laid some eggs already. What camera do you use?

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 12 2019 - 2:20 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 12, 2019

Two of the four queens were seemingly infertile and have died. The wingless queen's first worker hatched today and the other queen will probably have hers by tomorrow. Each of these queens will only get two nanitics.. perhaps the queens cannot store enough fat during the founding process to raise more than two or three.

This nanitic is slightly smaller than the nanitic of Camponotus decipiens. Even with her pale callow color I can still tell that she has the signature gaster coloration that characterizes this species. 

AovxwNr.jpg

99iskyC.jpg

KvwNw2k.jpg

sxoJYor.jpg

Fz9sZJJ.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 12 2019 - 2:21 PM.

• Ant_Dude2908 and Acutus like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, myrmentoma, camponotussnellingi, snellingi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users