• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving! how to handle moving the colonies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted May 7 2019 - 3:10 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Well, suddenly I'm faced with the challenge of having to move my 4 small colonies to our new home, which is going to be quite a long drive. 

Are there any tips or tricks about transporting whole colonies? Mine are young with maybe 5 to 60 workers, and in mini-hearts + 1 dirt box. I am wondering what the vibration of driving for hours and hours will do to them, or if there is any way to mitigate the stress, etc.

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted May 7 2019 - 3:49 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Cooler with foam padding. Don't put anything in cooler to keep it cold, just keep it sealed and dark. Just make sure you are NOT transporting them across state lines.

• TennesseeAnts and Guy_Fieri like this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted May 9 2019 - 8:58 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Thanks for that input. I am also a little concerned that the dirt in the dirt box will be unstable after being vibrated in a truck for hours. I would have to have a cave-in in there :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users