• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Manitobant’s dual queen solenopsis molesta journal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 4 2019 - 4:49 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Today I did some trades with Antkeeper15 and got my hands on a solenopsis molesta colony. They have 2 queens, 50 workers and a ton of brood. They are currently in the process of moving into a Tar Heel Ants mini hearth. Due by their tiny size, I expect the Formicarium to last their entire life cycle.

Here is a picture: http://www.formicult...504-185916-942/
  • ANTdrew likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2019 - 6:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! How can you not love thief ants?
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 5 2019 - 6:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
These things are everywhere here... I came home with 50 queens once.
All collected in my driveway.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 5 2019 - 8:02 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

These things are everywhere here... I came home with 50 queens once.All collected in my driveway.

wow... here they are quite rare.

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 5 2019 - 11:51 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

try black lighting. Queens got attracted to our cieling lights from outside and were falling through the cieling.

#6 Offline AntJohnny - Posted May 23 2019 - 11:47 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
I have just seen these ants for the first time a few days ago. I think it would be really cool getting some. Do any of you know when there nuptail flights in North America are.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2019 - 5:07 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Generally from May to September.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 24 2019 - 7:05 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

May to September is quite a range. We've had success catching S. molesta in June-July, before Lasius sp. flights, in the afternoon-evening. They are also not ubiquitous here, but when they fly, they don't hold back.

Edited by VoidElecent, May 24 2019 - 7:38 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 24 2019 - 7:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I agree with Void.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 24 2019 - 9:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I found one last year mid-July.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 25 2019 - 10:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I was talking about some flights in the bay area, and my experience catching one here in Orange County in September

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 3 2019 - 6:29 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
For some unknown reason all the workers started dying off until only the queens remained. Luckily the queens are laying new batches of eggs but it's still very strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users