• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

*discontinued* Ferox's Aphaenogaster (rudis complex) sp. Journal (Updated June 8th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 8:24 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Done! Works better now.

Nice!

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#42 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:11 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The queen of my larger colony just laid a nice new batch of eggs. They have also decided to seal off the nest entrance for some reason. I suspect it may be because they have brought half of a superworm into the nest, and they have been feasting on that.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#43 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:14 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found nothing I was expecting yesterday. I found a 2 queens queen Myrmica colony, and a Stigmatomma pallipes queen. No Aphaenogaster. So how is it I got 2 rare ants, and 0 common ants?!?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 8 2019 - 7:14 AM.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#44 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:16 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I found nothing I was expecting yesterday. I found a 2 queens queen Myrmica colony, and a Stigmatomma pallipes queen. No Aphaenogaster. So how is it I got 2 rare ants, and 0 common ants?!?

Hmm, I'm not sure, but good job!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#45 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Thanks! Have any of your alate larvae pupated yet?

#46 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:18 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Thanks! Have any of your alate larvae pupated yet?

I'll check on the Aphaenogaster lamellidens colony later tonight.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#47 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 8 2019 - 9:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Hopefully you can breed them and sell the mated queens! You'll be rich! :shout:

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 8 2019 - 9:10 AM.

#48 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 8 2019 - 11:23 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Hopefully you can breed them and sell the mated queens! You'll be rich! :shout:

Yeah! That'd be so cool! :yahoo:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#49 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 9 2019 - 4:40 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Actually seems like a good way to make money.

#50 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 9 2019 - 6:10 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Actually seems like a good way to make money.

Yeah. I've been considering selling queens for a while now, and selling hybrids would be awesome!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#51 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 9 2019 - 6:15 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I'm finally gonna extract the largest colony! I currently have them in a small container with lots of wood, so their view is obstructed. Form what I've seen though, the colony is pretty big, with lots of brood, maybe even some alate larva! I also got a glimpse of the queen... ;)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#52 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:18 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I extracted the colony, and it had alate pupa and larva! I did not, however, have a queen, so I decided to give some of the brood to my other colony, but then, I saw that the colony did in fact have a queen! It was too late though, as the other colony had already taken both of the pupa and two of the three larva into the nest, but they still do have some alate larva. And this species is in fact a separate species from my Aphaenogaster carolinensis, they're larger and darker in color. They are also quite strongly polymorphic, with some individuals being twice the size of others. The queen also look quite different than the A. carolinensis queen. They could possibly be A. miamiana or A. rudis. I'll have to take a closer look at them, however.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#53 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 10 2019 - 8:03 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Going off of coloration, I have determined that these ants are Aphaenogaster miamiana. I will probably continue writing about them in this journal, but rename the journal Aphaenogaster (rudis complex sp.) Journal. This is my biggest Aphaenogaster colony as of yet, with around 50 workers, probably more.

*edit* I'm also thinking that my smaller species is Aphaenogaster rudis.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, May 10 2019 - 8:09 AM.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#54 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 13 2019 - 4:43 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

My A. miamiana have unfortunately died, as the cotton ball that was keeping them hydrated while I was away for the weekend, has dried out, killing the ants. Also, I think the A. carolinensis colony is eating the alate brood I gave them, and I have no idea why. In better news, the colonies do have quite a lot of pupa.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#55 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 14 2019 - 9:56 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The queen of my A. carolinensis colony has laid a nice batch of eggs. The larva are maturing from her first batch, and all of the larva from their capture have either pupated or already eclosed.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#56 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 22 2019 - 7:42 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The A. rudis colony is dead, leaving me with my A. carolinensis, who are doing really well! They have tons of brood! They have actually sealed themselves off from their outworld with a piece of dead superworm!  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#57 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 31 2019 - 5:00 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I should have updated this earlier, but about 2 weeks ago, I managed to catch another colony of Aphaenogaster miamiana! The colony is around 35-40 workers strong and has lots of brood. Unfortunately, my Aphaenogaster carolinensis colony is dwindling in population. They do have a lot of pupa though, so they should be hatching soon. There's also lots of mold growth unfortunately. I may try and clean the nest soon.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#58 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 8 2019 - 4:39 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The A. carolinensis colony has died, and I'm going to release the A. miamiana colony tomorrow morning to make room. I'm going to move my 10 queen Solenopsis invicta colony into their formicarium once their first workers arrive in a day or two, leaving this journal shut down.  :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users