• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

*discontinued* Ferox's Aphaenogaster (rudis complex) sp. Journal (Updated June 8th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 4:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

My largest colony is growing very quickly! Two of the pupa are going to hatch today, and it's only been just over a week! The eggs they had when I first collected the colony are getting ready to pupate, and the ones the queen laid a few days ago have already gotten to L2. I think that the colony could potentially need a new nest soon, maybe in a few months. Probably by the end of summer.

• VoidElecent and TennesseeAnts like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#22 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:38 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Aphaenogaster colonies don't get huge. Usually max out at around 200-300 workers.

#23 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:52 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Aphaenogaster colonies don't get huge. Usually max out at around 200-300 workers.

Yeah, I know. Aphaenogaster carolinensis colonies are actually usually even smaller then that, but the nest I currently have them in is about at half capacity, and they have around 35 workers or so.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#24 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My colony of this species had nearly 300 workers, and some alate larvae and pupae. I need a new colony of these.

#25 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:06 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

My colony of this species had nearly 300 workers, and some alate larvae and pupae. I need a new colony of these.

I think mine should get some alate pupa soon. I've noticed that wild colonies of Aphaenogaster (Aphaenogaster lamellidens specifically) already have alate pupa, so mine could possibly get alates soon, although they may be too young. I do know that my Aphaenogaster lamellidens colony will get alate pupa soon as some of their larva are huge.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
It amazes me that a young colony of Aphaenogaster, with only 50 workers, can produce alates. Not fair to other ants. I raised a Formica pacifica colony to alate producing size in 2018, when I leave Washington, they get 4 female alates and dozens of alate larvae and pupae.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 7 2019 - 6:10 AM.

#27 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:44 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

It amazes me that a young colony of Aphaenogaster, with only 50 workers, can produce alates. Not fair to other ants. I raised a Formica pacifica colony to alate producing size in 2018, when I leave Washington, they get 4 female alates and dozens of alate larvae and pupae.

Yeah. I guess Aphaenogaster have just evolved to produce alates earlier in the colonies lifespan than other ants. It's pretty effective I would say.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#28 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:47 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
It is good for captive breeding too. There is this video on YouTube you can watch. All about breeding Aphaenogaster in captivity. I guess this worked because Aphaenogaster mate on the ground. I will have to get 2 colonies to try this. For the vid, just search: how to breed ants. Should come up.
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#29 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:51 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

It is good for captive breeding too. There is this video on YouTube you can watch. All about breeding Aphaenogaster in captivity. I guess this worked because Aphaenogaster mate on the ground. I will have to get 2 colonies to try this. For the vid, just search: how to breed ants. Should come up.

Okay. And I do have two colonies, one of which is very large! I still have to extract them, but they have around 100 workers! I'm not entirely certain if they're Aphaenogaster carolinensis though. Hybrid time!  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#30 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
If you do make a hybrid, sell me some!

:lol:

#31 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:55 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

If you do make a hybrid, sell me some!

:lol:

Well, I can't exactly ship ants across state borders...  :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#32 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:56 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I know... :(

Permit time!

#33 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:01 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I know... :(

Permit time!

Yep!  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#34 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:06 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
If you do manage to breed the queens, document the process here. Take some works and female alates from one colony, and drones from another colony and put them into a tank that has substrate at the bottom.

#35 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:09 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

If you do manage to breed the queens, document the process here. Take some works and female alates from one colony, and drones from another colony and put them into a tank that has substrate at the bottom.

Okay. I will do that whenever alates are produced.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#36 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:11 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I will try as well. I will collect 2 colonies with alate brood today. In the name of science! :lol:

#37 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:11 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I will try as well. I will collect 2 colonies with alate brood today. In the name of science! :lol:

Yeah! (y)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#38 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:18 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Now I need to repair my aspirator!

#39 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 8:01 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Now I need to repair my aspirator!

I do too. I just need a new one in general!  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#40 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 8:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Done! Works better now.