• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odontomacus sp moving out Pupa to out world

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dnail - Posted April 29 2019 - 3:32 AM

Dnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBandung, Indonesia
IMG 20190429 175911
IMG 20180416 194932

My odontomacus queen moving out her pupa to out world. anyone know why she do this?

I have 2 colony, and both are doing this. they didn't doing this when they have 1st worker.

Colony:

2 Odontomachus aciculatus 

2 Polyrachis Dives

3 Camponotus sp

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted April 29 2019 - 6:58 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I'm new at this so what I say may not be correct but are just my thoughts. I don't really know anything about the species you have. However should the Outworld be that wet? What are the conditions like inside the tubes? May the Pupae need more humidity or is it less humid in the outworld because of the bigger space?

Like I said I'm very new to this Ant stuff but wanted to try and help. :)

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2019 - 7:01 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Well, it does look like the outworld is a bit wet, but that may not be the problem. Do the colonies have any workers? How well ventilated is the outworld?

#4 Offline Dnail - Posted April 29 2019 - 7:18 AM

Dnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

1 with 3 worker, 1 only queen with 3 pupa (photo from this one)
usually i close it like the photo above, it have small hole around diameter of test tube with steel screen on top of it.
i open it every 2-3 days to feed them.

it wet because i see video in youtube say they like it wet, but may be it's too wet

Edited by Dnail, April 29 2019 - 7:23 AM.

Colony:

2 Polyrachis Dives

3 Camponotus sp

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yeah, too wet.

#6 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 29 2019 - 2:20 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Maybe it’s not warm enough, and they are thermo-regulating the brood? You need to dry the outworld though, its really wet.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 29 2019 - 2:24 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

outworld looks like mud...

#8 Offline Wedge - Posted April 30 2019 - 3:56 PM

Wedge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustin,Texas

I have a few O. brunneus colonies and I had the same thing happen when the colones were getting started.  I was keeping them too wet and my theory was that the pupae were probably getting mold or bacterial infections inside the pupae and the queen could tell and kicked them out. After I let the colonies dry out a bit I had much better success and didn't have this happen any more.

• Dnail likes this

Current Colonies:

Camponotus festinatus, Camponotus sansabaenus, Camponotus sayi, Camponotus texanus, Camponotus vicinus, Leptogenys elongata, Monomorium minimum, Pachycondyla harpax, Pheidole dentata, Pheidole floridana, 

#9 Offline Superant33 - Posted May 1 2019 - 2:03 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
What wedge said

#10 Offline Dnail - Posted May 13 2019 - 2:36 AM

Dnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

I have a few O. brunneus colonies and I had the same thing happen when the colones were getting started.  I was keeping them too wet and my theory was that the pupae were probably getting mold or bacterial infections inside the pupae and the queen could tell and kicked them out. After I let the colonies dry out a bit I had much better success and didn't have this happen any more.

thanks, i dried their outworld now.

after a while of observing, i know they do this to pupae that want to emerge. so i don't think its because of mold but its clearly because of its too wet. the real reason is still mystery
they take back the pupae when i open the lid too, if it was kicked out it won't happen right?

Colony:

2 Polyrachis Dives

3 Camponotus sp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users