• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acutus' Camponotus Chromaiodes Journal We have EGGS! Update 2/17/20

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Acutus - Posted April 27 2019 - 3:26 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Figured I'd try and start a journal and see how it works out.

the colony was collected on 4/18/19 out of a piece of tree cookie that was being removed after laying on the ground for 10 -12 years. It broke open and as the ants fell I saw a Queen and decided to collect it.

I'd say except for a few stragglers the entire colony was collected from the piece of wood using a bug vacuum and Aspirator? While carefully breaking apart the wood. We actually collected 2 queens during this process.the first queen had a couple of workers in her tube the second queen did not. Not planned totally by chance.

All workers were placed in the out world of an AC Hybrid 2.0 Camponotus Nest and allowed to find the nesting area. Once there was a fair number we took one of the water tubes off and replaced it with the first queen tube with 2 workers. Workers from the nest entered, seemed to rub antenae with workers in the tube then all proceeded to enter the nest. Afterwards many workers entered this vacated tube. We waited for them to clear out then added the second Queens tube with no workers. This ended horribly with the Queen killed in like 2 seconds. it was quick and brutal. Not sure why that queen was there as no more ants were found in the wood. All the workers and the first queen got along fine.

After things settled a Small apple slice was added to see if the ants would even eat and quite a few workers came out to enjoy the apple for a couple days. 

Since the first day the ants have been fed every day. In addition to the apple slice we added a couple drops of Honey which only lasted a short while. the amount of honey was increased each day until it was about 2/3 of a water bottle cap. After 7 days they slowed up on the honey a bit and now only take smaller amounts. Protein is given in the form of insects. Small beetle grubs about 4  a day and mealworms about the same amount are taken voraciously whenever offered!

This is the Colony setup

JUJ88j2.jpg

This is the colony today 4/27/19

Vf88x31.jpg

Edited by Acutus, February 17 2020 - 1:17 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, Karma, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 28 2019 - 11:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! What a colony. Look forward to hearing about their progress.
  • Acutus likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted April 30 2019 - 3:29 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

So I peeked in today! They had a bunch of brood when captured but there appears to be much more. Also all the captured brood were very small. You can see in the pics that many are developing larger! :D They are eating Protein in the form of Insects everyday but have slowed a great deal on the sugars, I give them Honey.

Sorry for the poor photography but I literally just stick my camera under the lid and take a few pics then view the pics so as not to disturb them looking in the nest too long.

PACJhAG.jpg

xBl6vIX.jpg

Edited by Acutus, April 30 2019 - 3:29 PM.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 30 2019 - 3:42 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Feed them Sunburst or hummingbird nectar sugar mix, instead of honey. Honey works, but there are more reliable options. Here is a thread discussing the topic.

Edited by Rstheant, April 30 2019 - 3:43 PM.

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 30 2019 - 5:02 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Honey works just fine, no need to buy more product is your ants like what you are using. Sunburst is an excellent option, but it's not necessary if your ants are receptive to what you are using now.

However, if your ants are no longer liking honey, sunburst works great.

Edited by YsTheAnt, April 30 2019 - 5:03 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted April 30 2019 - 8:11 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Honey works just fine, no need to buy more product is your ants like what you are using. Sunburst is an excellent option, but it's not necessary if your ants are receptive to what you are using now.

However, if your ants are no longer liking honey, sunburst works great.

Feed them Sunburst or hummingbird nectar sugar mix, instead of honey. Honey works, but there are more reliable options. Here is a thread discussing the topic.

Thanks for the info! I read the thread. Didn't really see anything that convinced me that Honey is inferior but I do make sugar water for my bees and I have Humming bird nectar too. Which is really just sugar water colored red. I'm gonna give the ants some of these as well and see. :) BTW I use straight Honey I do not mix it. I also don't use a big feeder just a water bottle cap.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#7 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 1 2019 - 4:43 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
That’s a fantastic captured colony! Good luck with it. One thing to watch out for with honey is that the foragers can sometimes get stuck in it and drown. My founding colonies are much smaller and I’ve lost some nanitics that way. I switched to hummingbird nectar in Byformica liquid feeders.

Edited by ConcordAntman, May 1 2019 - 4:47 AM.

• Acutus likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 1 2019 - 5:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, your life will be so much easier with the byFormica liquid feeders, and I can vouch for the Sunburst. Because it has a preservative in it, you could just fill a big feeder up and forget it for a while. I did only honey water for a long time, but I recently switched to Sunburst, and my ants seem to prefer it.

• Acutus likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline Acutus - Posted May 1 2019 - 4:03 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

That’s a fantastic captured colony! Good luck with it. One thing to watch out for with honey is that the foragers can sometimes get stuck in it and drown. My founding colonies are much smaller and I’ve lost some nanitics that way. I switched to hummingbird nectar in Byformica liquid feeders.

Yeah, your life will be so much easier with the byFormica liquid feeders, and I can vouch for the Sunburst. Because it has a preservative in it, you could just fill a big feeder up and forget it for a while. I did only honey water for a long time, but I recently switched to Sunburst, and my ants seem to prefer it.

Thanks Concord!

The colony has actually learned to put debris in the honey for footing and then drink! :) If I had more colonies and maintenance was an issue I' may look at the feeders but for now I actually enjoy feeding them and watching them. :) Oh and Honey doesn't need preservatives! ;)

• ConcordAntman likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#10 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 2 2019 - 11:04 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
It’s allegedly Spring in New England 🙄 and I’ve got our hummingbird feeders out so there’s always a supply of fresh nectar for my ants. I also have freeze-dried mealworms for bluebirds and the ants like that too. Keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by ConcordAntman, May 2 2019 - 11:05 AM.

#11 Offline Acutus - Posted May 2 2019 - 8:47 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Friend and I fed some termites to the girls today! :D

x2OXjy8.jpg

• Karma likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#12 Offline Acutus - Posted May 5 2019 - 4:30 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Here's a typical view of the Out World. Lots of froagers out all the time. :D :D

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 5 2019 - 5:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I hear little ones! Nice job collecting that colony. I'm a little jealous... :lol:

#14 Offline Acutus - Posted May 5 2019 - 5:22 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Ooooooppps! Yeah I forgot to mention ignore the kids in the background! They couldn't stay quiet long enough! LOL

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 6 2019 - 6:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Haha! Sounds like my house. I have two human larvae, too.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 6 2019 - 6:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Haha! Sounds like my house. I have two human larvae, too.

:lol:

#17 Offline Acutus - Posted May 8 2019 - 10:23 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Hey guys! Here's a video of the entire Colony as I have it set up. There is brood EVERYWHERE!! Many more Ants seem to hang in the Out World than used to as well.

One major thing that concerns me is the HUGE trash piles accumulating in the right side corners near each. Do I need to be concerned?  As most of you know l'm not real experienced so please chime in if you see anything that concerns you. 

Thanks!!!

• ANTdrew likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 8 2019 - 3:44 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I am surprised I was able to see the queen under all of those workers!  :lol:

• Acutus likes this

#19 Offline Acutus - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:41 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well I think we've had a decline in workers. there don't appear to be as many as there were but there are TONS of brood in all stages so I'm not really worried. They did finally clear out the one trash pile (the upper right corner in the previous video). I had to re-do the cotton in one of the water tubes cause they had pulled so much I was afraid it would breech and flood.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#20 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 7:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I love C. chromaiodes. Their majors can get huge! Since I have been feeding my large colony more protein, some HUGE majors have eclosed! One of the largest is 14 millimeters! Your colony's queen is of the rarer red version. Mine is black with red legs.
  • Acutus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users