• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acutus' Camponotus Chromaiodes Journal We have EGGS! Update 2/17/20

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Acutus - Posted May 12 2019 - 8:02 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I love C. chromaiodes. Their majors can get huge! Since I have been feeding my large colony more protein, some HUGE majors have eclosed! One of the largest is 14 millimeters! Your colony's queen is of the rarer red version. Mine is black with red legs.

Yeah these guys are bad [censored]! :D I feed mine protein almost everyday and there is going to be such a population boost soon!

Good to know about the Queen. I think she's awesome. Her name is Avyanna. I didn't know about the more red thing cause she's the only chromaiodes queen I've seen! :D

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#22 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 12 2019 - 8:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Some of these queens are rare, with lots of red all over them, while most are black with a little bit of red on the legs. You got lucky! :)

#23 Offline Acutus - Posted May 14 2019 - 3:50 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Ok so I have some concerns or maybe I'm just over thinking things you guys let me know.

For awhile it seems like most of the workers are staying in the Out World, I think a lot have had a bit of a die off too. There is however a TON of Brood! 

Could it be the workers don't feel like they have room in the nest due to the quantity of Brood? Should I add another Nest section? I think there is room for everyone in the 1 section.

See attached video.

Also noticed this weird behavior at one of the water stations. Could they be trying to get somewhere and make the nest larger? I've already had to change the cotton here because they had pulled so much they were in danger of flooding.

Thoughts?????

• dermy likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#24 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 14 2019 - 4:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Based on my experience I would say they have enough room for a couple of months. For the cotton pulling, it is completely normal. They are probably trying to get substrate for their larvae.
  • Acutus likes this

#25 Offline Acutus - Posted May 22 2019 - 5:33 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Ok so no pics but the Colony seems to be doing very well! Brood is progressing nicely and there a tons of Pupae. Some very large! I hope to see some of them eclosing. :D The colony continues to eat every form of food I can put in there! Beetle Grubs, May beetles, wood roaches, meal worms, wax worms, termites, and any other insect are all readily attacked and eaten! Honey continues to be their source for carbs.

As much as half the workers of all forms are in the Out World at all times with the rest helping to tend brood. they really pull on the cotton in the water tubes though. They generally take it and drag it into the nest. Could this be to boost humidity?

It really seems to me they are trying to make the nest strictly a brood chamber. I may try adding and additional nest just to see what happens. Any thoughts?

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#26 Offline Acutus - Posted May 26 2019 - 3:02 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well fed them again today.  Honey and I gave them a ripe Mulberry that had fallen from a tree. They seemed to like it. I also threw in 5 beetle larvae which were attacked before they hit the ground. LOL! Here's some pics there is Brood EVERYWHERE!!! :D

dLIKHFf.jpg

Here's the Queen!

9R2wBeg.jpg

zOVjHot.jpg

DsFVKuf.jpg

BCKEjbS.jpg

Zq0RHgT.jpg

• dermy, Karma, rbarreto and 1 other like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2019 - 5:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Serviceberries are ripe, too, now. They may like those.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 26 2019 - 5:20 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Wow, this colony looks amazing!
  • Acutus likes this

Spoiler

#29 Offline Acutus - Posted May 26 2019 - 6:01 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Serviceberries are ripe, too, now. They may like those.

I actually had to look that up. Never seen them before. The Tree looks familiar but I've never noticed the berries. Gonna have to look for some,

Wow, this colony looks amazing!

Thank you! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#30 Offline Acutus - Posted June 4 2019 - 7:40 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Not much to report except it seems every time I check there's more eggs and Brood! :D I'm anxiously waiting to see my first new ant eclose. There are so many Pupae!! 

They eat literally Everything!! I'm getting ready to order a new Out World for the colony so I can remove and clean the current Out World. I may also offer a new Nest area but I'll leave that part up to the ants! :D

• ANTdrew likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#31 Offline Acutus - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:00 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

So can anyone tell me what this is? I thought it was a trash pile bu they never move it. It doesn't appear to be molding. I know thay have added pulled cotton to it. Could this be their way of controlling humidity?

Any Ideas?

P1020323

Here's an over all view the amount of Brood amazes me. I check everyday to see if any of the Pupae open but so far I haven't seen it. :(

P1020325

• dermy, TennesseeAnts and AntsBC like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#32 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 8 2019 - 5:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
It could be their poop.
  • Acutus likes this

#33 Offline Acutus - Posted June 8 2019 - 4:55 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

It could be their poop.

Well I did a little searching!
This is an article I found. :D

Where's the poop? Ants keep a tidy indoor toilet, scientists find

https://www.latimes....0218-story.html

Edited by Acutus, June 8 2019 - 4:56 PM.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#34 Offline dermy - Posted June 8 2019 - 10:29 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I think it's just trash that will eventually be taken out when all those cocoons eclose into new workers in a few weeks. I always find the pupae stage of Camponotus to be pretty long.

Also nice Journal :D The pictures are really amazing same with the video footage!

Edited by dermy, June 8 2019 - 10:30 PM.

• Acutus likes this

#35 Offline Acutus - Posted June 9 2019 - 6:45 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I think it's just trash that will eventually be taken out when all those cocoons eclose into new workers in a few weeks. I always find the pupae stage of Camponotus to be pretty long.

Also nice Journal :D The pictures are really amazing same with the video footage!

Thank you! :D Yeah, I'm finding this Pupae stage almost unbearable! LOL!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#36 Offline Acutus - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:06 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

HUGE UPDATE!!!! 6/23/2019

Been really busy at work as it's the start of Summer Camp Season. So today one of our biggest camps is setting up and they call be to remove (meaning Kill) a huge "Pile" of big black ants that are in our shed!!!

So I get up there and see they were definitely Carpenter Ants and they have made a nest in a pile of 2x2's the camp uses for Tent poles!! There are seriously like 75-80 of these 2x2's.

I go get my ant gear, which did not include insecticide, and a flashlight and get to work! :D Tuerns out they are C. chromaiodes!! :D

​One by one I'm moving the wood and when I get to a group of ants they get vacuumed up and dumped in a small tote. I'm seeing huge amounts of Brood but I'm being really careful to look for the queen.

Well I get down to 4 2x2's and I'm thinking watch it be a Damn satellite nest and on the next piece, BOOM!, I see the Queen and get her!! :D So now that I got her I spend some time getting the rest of the brood and workers.

Here's what I ended up with:

New Colony 1

New Colony2

So now I gotta get them in a Formicarium. Luckily I have an AC Hybrid Camponotus nest ready to go!! :D So I dump the Workers and Brood into the Out World then gently release the Queen into same! :D

New colony 3

New Colony5

New Colony6

10 minutes later

New Colony 4

An hour and a half after dump. :)

New Colony7

New Colony8

So now I got 2 huge colonies of C. chromaiodes!!!!  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: 

• TennesseeAnts, AntsBC and PacificNorthWestern like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
This is a perfect example of when to collect an established colony. Good job and congrats!!!!!

Edited by NickAnter, June 23 2019 - 4:15 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Acutus like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#38 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:22 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Wow, awesome! :D that’s a lot of brood :lol:
  • Acutus likes this

Spoiler

#39 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Omg dude... That is a ton of brood....
  • Acutus likes this

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2019 - 5:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! Nice work on the rescue. That’s like instant gratification
  • Acutus likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users