• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1521 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 22 2019 - 9:26 AM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
pretty much in any open dry dirt field. I live in fontana, and I found about 15 queens around my front door. best time is from 3-6pm on the hottest days. so tommarow would probably be a good day. they were also everywhere behind the fontana nature center.
  • PTAntFan likes this

#1522 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 22 2019 - 10:19 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Make sure you look for Pheidole navigans, they are flying, pretty much every night. I caught two today in HB.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1523 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 22 2019 - 10:41 AM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
how do you tell the profile queens apart from the the solenopsis invicta queens? they look very similar to me.

Make sure you look for Pheidole navigans, they are flying, pretty much every night. I caught two today in HB.

how do you tell pheodole from solenopsis invicta? they look very similar to me.

#1524 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 22 2019 - 10:42 AM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I mean the queens. of course the workers have obvious differences

#1525 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 22 2019 - 10:50 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They are way different in size, shape and color. Most pheidole queens are only about 4 to 6 mm. S. invicta is much larger at 7-8 mm.
  • BADANT likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1526 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 22 2019 - 10:52 AM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

They are way different in size, shape and color. Most pheidole queens are only about 4 to 6 mm. S. invicta is much larger at 7-8 mm.

I see. thank you for the clarification.

#1527 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 23 2019 - 8:07 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

pretty much in any open dry dirt field. I live in fontana, and I found about 15 queens around my front door. best time is from 3-6pm on the hottest days. so tommarow would probably be a good day. they were also everywhere behind the fontana nature center.

I got five of them, behind the nature center! I also ran into a guy who is out with his two kids looking for the same. That wasn’t you was it?
  • wrestlerbill89 likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#1528 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 23 2019 - 8:21 PM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hahaha it was me. I'm glad you found some. I found another unknown species queen under a rock there.

#1529 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 23 2019 - 9:23 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Oh man! Well, nice to meet ya. Thanks for the tip. I really needed a break from life’s stresses and to get lucky like that was great! Adorable kids too.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#1530 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 24 2019 - 9:01 AM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it was

Oh man! Well, nice to meet ya. Thanks for the tip. I really needed a break from life’s stresses and to get lucky like that was great! Adorable kids too.

it was nice meeting you too. hopefully not the last time we run into each other while anting.

#1531 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2019 - 9:33 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Can you set up an ID post of the unknown species please?
  • wrestlerbill89 likes this

#1532 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 26 2019 - 2:57 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Anyone planning on going to hunt for Myrmecocystus mexicanus or navajo soon? If so where are you guys planning to go?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#1533 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 26 2019 - 3:01 PM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I want to. just waiting for a summer storm

#1534 Offline wrestlerbill89 - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:22 PM

wrestlerbill89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

it was identified as a monimorium sp. I can't figure how to post the pic

#1535 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 27 2019 - 8:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

it was identified as a monimorium sp. I can't figure how to post the pic
Go on your phone, download imgur. There is a button with a plus on it. Click it, that will take you to your gallery. Select the image, then go back to imgur, and click the rectangle which copies it to clipboard. Them go where you want to post and hold your finger down on the desired spot. It will give you an option to paste, and click it. Voila, an embedded photo.

Edited by NickAnter, June 27 2019 - 8:17 AM.

#1536 Offline BADANT - Posted June 27 2019 - 11:38 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

OK, so the temperatures are about to rise in Riverside and surrounding areas.

As a beginner my questions are:

When is best to look for them on the ground or on pathways?

When is the right time to try to attract them by black light?

Can different nests in a similar area (i.e. opposite ends of a large field) have different timings of their nuptial flights?

#1537 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 28 2019 - 5:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
1. On the ground and path ways, look in the morning, noon and evening.
2. Use a black light after a hot, humid day, however late into the night as you please.

3. I am not sure, but generally no.
  • BADANT and wrestlerbill89 like this

#1538 Offline BADANT - Posted June 28 2019 - 6:26 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Thanks NickAnter, some walking really paid off last night. I hit a few spots during the morning and mid-day, but it wasn't until sunset that I hit a trail near my house. I came across 7 queens within about 150' of each other, as I extended my search outward there was no glory. I tried the pushed down wild grass and minor trails, hoping to either find more or the nest and no glory there either. Waiting on an ID from one of you experts, I think that they share allot of characteristics with the Solenopsis molesta that I caught the other night. But seriously, I am a super rookie, and just trying to learn. Anyway, Thanks

Edited by ANTMOON, June 30 2019 - 3:23 AM.

#1539 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 6 2019 - 8:43 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Anyone have any suggestions for queen hunting near LA today? Have some free time. Was thinking Frazier Park, almost 80F already.

#1540 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 6 2019 - 10:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yes. Look at the edges of grass. I have found three Pheidole queens like this this week, in fact, I found one about 10 mins ago.

Edited by NickAnter, July 6 2019 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users