• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2447 replies to this topic

#1441 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 8 2019 - 6:32 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Up here the flights vary from region to region. In my area they don't fly around this time, I have yet to stumble across flights.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1442 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 8 2019 - 6:32 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I saw Camponotus quercicola alates coming out of the nests last night in Mt. Baldy, and I didn't see a single dead male anywhere, so I think it's obvious they haven't flown yet. I expected them to fly today since it was supposed to be 5 degrees warmer, but it ended up being slightly colder instead. I'm still going to go check anyways, but I'm not expecting anything to fly now.

#1443 Offline Dargus - Posted April 9 2019 - 6:12 AM

Dargus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Went to Mt baldy last night but was turned away by the sheriff's at the start of the trail. Apparently there's a search for 2 hikers that went missing.

#1444 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 9 2019 - 11:12 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I saw Camponotus quercicola alates coming out of the nests last night in Mt. Baldy, and I didn't see a single dead male anywhere, so I think it's obvious they haven't flown yet. I expected them to fly today since it was supposed to be 5 degrees warmer, but it ended up being slightly colder instead. I'm still going to go check anyways, but I'm not expecting anything to fly now.

This is the only Camponotus I'm looking to get this season. They are awesome.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1445 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2019 - 11:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Went to Mt baldy last night but was turned away by the sheriff's at the start of the trail. Apparently there's a search for 2 hikers that went missing.

What do you mean turned away? They've been there the last three days looking for the missing hikers, but the trails not closed. :lol: What did they say to you?

BTW, there were tons of Camponotus vicinus, and C. sansabeanus queens flying. I only found one C. laevigatus, and no C. quercicola though... A little ways down the mountain we found Myrmecocystus testaceus.

#1446 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 9 2019 - 2:51 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You guys are lucky. My backyard is packed with wood species, but I rarely find any...

#1447 Offline miwu - Posted April 9 2019 - 3:14 PM

miwu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What do you mean turned away? They've been there the last three days looking for the missing hikers, but the trails not closed. :lol: What did they say to you?

BTW, there were tons of Camponotus vicinus, and C. sansabeanus queens flying. I only found one C. laevigatus, and no C. quercicola though... A little ways down the mountain we found Myrmecocystus testaceus.

I was there Sunday night and it seemed way too cold for anything to fly so I turned back. Just curious what the temperature was last night? Also found what I believed to be Myrmecocystus testaceus along Mt. Baldy Rd. but it was difficult to find a good spot and cars were passing by so I left with two.

I ended up being at Gabrielino Trail last night and found a bunch of Camponotus vicinus and Camponotus sansabeanus and no signs of other queens despite busy activity.

Edited by miwu, April 9 2019 - 3:15 PM.

#1448 Offline Dargus - Posted April 9 2019 - 4:58 PM

Dargus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Saying I got turned away is honestly a big stretch. I pulled up saw the sheriff asked what was up she told me they were looking for hikers who got lost... dangerous after dark yada yada so I stupidly assumed I should turn around and now I'm kicking myself for a second time lol.

#1449 Offline Thebrute99 - Posted April 11 2019 - 12:39 PM

Thebrute99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia city California
They found the hikers at mt. Baldy https://www.google.c...-alive/5243429/

#1450 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 13 2019 - 4:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was there Sunday night and it seemed way too cold for anything to fly so I turned back. Just curious what the temperature was last night? Also found what I believed to be Myrmecocystus testaceus along Mt. Baldy Rd. but it was difficult to find a good spot and cars were passing by so I left with two.

I ended up being at Gabrielino Trail last night and found a bunch of Camponotus vicinus and Camponotus sansabeanus and no signs of other queens despite busy activity.

It was about 5 degrees warmer Monday night.

#1451 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted May 9 2019 - 12:44 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

This weekend in Palm Springs, going to be raining Sat and 88F on Sunday. Anything expected to fly? Cause this seems like good times and conditions.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1452 Offline AntPhycho - Posted May 21 2019 - 6:52 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This weekend in Palm Springs, going to be raining Sat and 88F on Sunday. Anything expected to fly? Cause this seems like good times and conditions.

Huge Solenopsis flight went on around that date. Caught the seven I am founding right now. You respectable ant keepers wouldn't have been interested anyways as most queens were invicta.  :good2:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#1453 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted May 22 2019 - 3:44 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Huge Solenopsis flight went on around that date. Caught the seven I am founding right now. You respectable ant keepers wouldn't have been interested anyways as most queens were invicta.  :good2:

Recently, had re-read it recently to verify law. Law strictly states in USA, as long as you don't transport them into our out of quarantine zones you are fine. Personally however, wouldn't suggest keeping them.

Edited by StopSpazzing, May 22 2019 - 3:45 PM.

#1454 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted May 22 2019 - 8:22 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Most were invicta or all were invicta?

#1455 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2019 - 3:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The high desert got quite a bit of rain over the last three days. I'll be going out along the 15 north of Barstow later today I think. I'm really hoping to find Pogonomyrmex californicus pure bicolor variety, unlike the ones I found in the Palmdale and Phelan area a few years back. Those seemed to be slightly mixed with the all-red coastal variety, since that area is fairly close to the foothills.

#1456 Offline AntPhycho - Posted May 25 2019 - 10:25 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Most were invicta or all were invicta

I found either invicta or xyloni. It is almost impossible to tell queens apart before first workers. Confirmation on that will come once these larvae hatch. 

• Somethinghmm likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#1457 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted June 1 2019 - 12:10 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Anything interesting flying soon? I need ants that aren't the boring kind I find around my house.

#1458 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted June 1 2019 - 2:56 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

It might get into the 90s next Monday but the weather tends to change and it hasn't rained in a bit.

Edited by Somethinghmm, June 1 2019 - 2:57 PM.

#1459 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 1 2019 - 3:22 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It'll be in the 80's tomorrow with around 31% humidity. 

Ants & Formicaria

#1460 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted June 6 2019 - 3:05 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Earlier today, I caught a Liometopum occidentale queen. I think they flew early today or some time yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users