• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1341 Offline FSTP - Posted February 21 2019 - 10:09 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

that's really cool drew! I'm pretty sure its known Acromyrmex partake in pleometrosis.

#1342 Offline PTAntFan - Posted February 22 2019 - 10:12 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Wow! Just wow. What a rare experience. The rewards of time and effort put in. Great videos. Thanks for posting.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#1343 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 27 2019 - 3:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Anybody know if V. pergandei flew in the desert today? I think they might have. Trying to decide if i want to find out, or wait 'till tomorrow when it's even warmer...

#1344 Offline Thebrute99 - Posted February 27 2019 - 5:56 PM

Thebrute99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia city California
What area of the dessert

#1345 Offline Thebrute99 - Posted February 27 2019 - 6:11 PM

Thebrute99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia city California
In the mojave dessert by me i didn’t find anything. I did find some ant mounds where it looks like they are opening their entrance more

#1346 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 27 2019 - 7:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

In the mojave dessert by me i didn’t find anything. I did find some ant mounds where it looks like they are opening their entrance more

You are in the high desert. Temps haven't even reached 65 degrees there. Most likely nothing will fly. In the low desert, it should be over 80 degrees tomorrow. If there is still enough moisture in the ground, I think something might fly.

#1347 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted February 28 2019 - 11:12 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

That storm was crazy. I don't remember seeing that much thunder and lightning lasting for that long in coastal Southern California as long as I've lived here, and I've been here almost my whole life. It looks like it just blanketed the desert with rain, mostly the area along the 10 freeway, which is perfect. Should be plenty of places where Acromyrmex versicolor will fly, and maybe more honeypot ants as well. It's still sprinkling and mostly cloudy now at 6:00am, so I highly doubt any of them will fly this morning. It also looks like there might be another little wave of storms going through again later today, so I think tonight and tomorrow morning will be most likely when they fly.

I really was wanting to look for Cyphomyrmex, as I have never found them before, and since the timing was perfect this time, I don't have to work the next morning when everything flies. I can't remember where I got this information, but I think they flew the same time Acromyrmex flew once in the past, so I'm just going off of that. I really don't know much about them, other than I always see them in the same places I find Acromyrmex.

Here are some pictures and videos from this trip that I forgot to post.

This road runs along the aqueduct that borders the southern boundary of Joshua Tree National Park. It is normally smooth enough to drive 50 MPH along it, but not after this storm came through; the road was impassable.

gallery_2_145_587312.jpg

Here we saw TONS of new Acromyrmex queens all digging in the same hole. Initially we thought these were just alates hanging around the entrance of a mature nest, but after momentarily scaring them all off, we could see it was just a shallow hole. It looks like they were all trying to dig the same nest. I know some species of queens will team up when digging founding chambers, but this was a bit more than just a team. :lol:

These Myrmecocystus looked like they might have been preparing for a mating flight, but we never saw them fly.

I was wondering when you were going to post these. I was still tripping out what the honeypots where doing.Never seen that before, especially the major making the minors "get back in line" was so weird. Never seen anything like it.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1348 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 1 2019 - 3:17 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just got home from Palm Desert. Just as I predicted, Veromessor pergandei flew. Some were still digging, and some hadn't even started to dig yet. It was very simple collecting; I didn't even need my shovel.  :D

• StopSpazzing likes this

#1349 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted March 1 2019 - 7:27 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just got home from Palm Desert. Just as I predicted, Veromessor pergandei flew. Some were still digging, and some hadn't even started to dig yet. It was very simple collecting; I didn't even need my shovel. :D

Darn that’s like 2 1/2 hours from me

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#1350 Offline nurbs - Posted March 1 2019 - 1:14 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Just got home from Palm Desert. Just as I predicted, Veromessor pergandei flew. Some were still digging, and some hadn't even started to dig yet. It was very simple collecting; I didn't even need my shovel. :D

I also drove 2 1/2 hours to Palm Desert and ran into Drew and Kellak last night. 

You make it sound like all this is in our backyard  :lol:  

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#1351 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted March 1 2019 - 4:25 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I also drove 2 1/2 hours to Palm Desert and ran into Drew and Kellak last night. 

Wish I could have gone. I should leave some tubes for you guys to catch me one. :lol:

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#1352 Offline Xanuri - Posted March 1 2019 - 5:20 PM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

Wish I could have gone. I should leave some tubes for you guys to catch me one. :lol:

did you go near where you know they have nests and wander around that area or did you just find a random spot and start looking for them?

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#1353 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 1 2019 - 7:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

did you go near where you know they have nests and wander around that area or did you just find a random spot and start looking for them?

We went to a known spot where we could walk around collecting. There are not very many places like that in Palm Desert. It's almost all resorts on the perimeter of the city. This species is almost everywhere in the desert, but we went to where the weather was just right for a mating flight.

#1354 Offline PTAntFan - Posted March 8 2019 - 1:41 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Any prospects for tomorrow?

Hey folks i’ve been on the road and haven’t been able to follow weather reports. Looks like some parts of the desert may be warm this weekend.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#1355 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted March 9 2019 - 4:49 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Looks like around here (Fontana) it'll start warming up starting Tuesday going to 70 by Friday and 80 on Monday. How warm does it have to be for things to start flying in the mountains, and how warm for the desert?

#1356 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted March 10 2019 - 12:14 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

WHat temps are we looking for in Altadena? https://www.accuweat...st/332023?day=6want those cokacola :D

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1357 Offline anttics - Posted March 14 2019 - 7:39 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
This sunday. Vasquez rock,and the valleys will be 65 to 70 degrees. Camponotus will fly this Sunday or Monday.

I think they flew at my micro climat spot. Is 11 and its 63 degrees. Around 9pm was close to 66. Ill check tomorrow. I hope to catch the massive light orange salsabeans. That live there. I saw the largest major ant. I have ever seen at that spot. Larger than camp vicinus queens. Wish me luck yall. These colonies do not need to hibernate so. I'm exited. Last year i missed them. Damn I'm sure they flew today. I'm debating if going right now 11:20pm.

Edited by anttics, March 14 2019 - 10:24 PM.

• Scrixx and StopSpazzing like this

#1358 Offline Enderz - Posted March 15 2019 - 2:44 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

This sunday. Vasquez rock,and the valleys will be 65 to 70 degrees. Camponotus will fly this Sunday or Monday.

I think they flew at my micro climat spot. Is 11 and its 63 degrees. Around 9pm was close to 66. Ill check tomorrow. I hope to catch the massive light orange salsabeans. That live there. I saw the largest major ant. I have ever seen at that spot. Larger than camp vicinus queens. Wish me luck yall. These colonies do not need to hibernate so. I'm exited. Last year i missed them. Damn I'm sure they flew today. I'm debating if going right now 11:20pm.

What color were these ants? May be that weird one drew knows of. Could also just be C. quercicola or something similar.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1359 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 15 2019 - 4:03 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Quercicolas aren't orange though :lol:

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1360 Offline anttics - Posted March 15 2019 - 7:34 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Here is a pic of a minor and a small major from the same nest as the super major who got away.

http://www.formicult...p/?fromsearch=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users