• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1281 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 12:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You can't do anything along an interstate. It's illegal to even stop if it isn't an emergency. We usually just get off at the closest road to where we want to look around. Sometimes we drive for a while on these roads. Some roads even run along the side of the freeway, but many of those are dirt roads, and in very bad condition, so it requires a 4x4 a lot of the time. On smaller highways, it's perfectly legal to park on the side of the road, so those are the best.

#1282 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 12:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, so being that we are talking about the desert, I'm not usually concerned with temperature, so I completely forgot to check that. I can't believe how cold it is out there already. I'm not even completely sure it's warm enough.

#1283 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 13 2018 - 12:43 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Oh sorry I should have been more specific. Yeah obviously not the side of a highway. What you said is what I was thinking find a road that look promising and go off on that.

So just like drive along towards Chiriaco and once a spot that looks nice and wet is found pull off on a road and park there and start looking?

Wow I will actually be happy I have an SUV instead of a small gas saver car.

#1284 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 2:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I thought you said walk along the 10. Can't do that.

#1285 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 13 2018 - 2:59 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Lol I did.

#1286 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 13 2018 - 3:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

And showers begin!

Yup.

So... Are you going and what day Drew?

I'm going very early tomorrow morning.

#1287 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 14 2018 - 1:05 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
So despite the setback of no babysitter, I'm still going. But with my son with me. So if you see a bearded moutain looking man with a blonde boy you found us. :D

#1288 Offline Patp3 - Posted October 14 2018 - 2:30 AM

Patp3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Best of luck!

#1289 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 15 2018 - 10:36 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Wheather says it may rain again this weekend out towards Joshua tree and Chiriaco Summit.

Anyone thinking of going Monday? Or are we pretty sure all the nuptial flights are done?

#1290 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2018 - 1:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I really don't know. After this weekend I learned that Acromyrmex can actually fly quite a few times in the same spot. I also saw some Myrmecocystus nests with alates popping their heads out, that have obviously not flown yet. It's really hard to say at this point.

• FSTP likes this

#1291 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 15 2018 - 1:47 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Either way I know I can't sadly. Not enough money lol and I work Mondays. That last trip is probably the end of ant hunting for me until next year. I gotta hope some how one of those three Queens I got live lol.

#1292 Offline soulsynapse - Posted October 16 2018 - 6:24 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Rugusos flew tonight!

• StopSpazzing likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#1293 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 16 2018 - 7:50 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Oh where were they flying?

Edited by Kalidas, October 17 2018 - 5:30 PM.

#1294 Offline soulsynapse - Posted October 16 2018 - 8:17 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

a few keepers have found them in the riverside area and further east

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#1295 Offline Antics - Posted October 17 2018 - 9:26 AM

Antics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Anyone going on any anting trips soon?  :D

#1296 Offline anttics - Posted October 17 2018 - 12:10 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I'm gonna check my local spots. Its warm here in the valley around 85. 70 at night I hope.

#1297 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2018 - 5:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Three days after it rained. I guess they were waiting 'till it got warm enough.

#1298 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 17 2018 - 5:33 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Yeah probably.

So hey silly question I'm sure. But a friend of mine asked if it's a felony to take wildlife from national parks and I really didn't know the answer. I tried googling it and I didn't get a "straight answer" mostly just stuff recommending you don't do it. But nothing flat out saying "DOING THIS CAN GET YOU SENT TO PRISON!"

So yeah is it illegal to collect ants or any insects form national parks?

Edited by Kalidas, October 17 2018 - 5:35 PM.

#1299 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2018 - 6:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah probably.

So hey silly question I'm sure. But a friend of mine asked if it's a felony to take wildlife from national parks and I really didn't know the answer. I tried googling it and I didn't get a "straight answer" mostly just stuff recommending you don't do it. But nothing flat out saying "DOING THIS CAN GET YOU SENT TO PRISON!"

So yeah is it illegal to collect ants or any insects form national parks?

Don't know if it's a felony, but it's highly illegal. That one is actually very clear. Don't even go in a National Park with collecting equipment. This is why I don't walk any further north of that sign/gate, or the park boundary markers where we were Saturday.

#1300 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 17 2018 - 6:32 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

Yeah probably.So hey silly question I'm sure. But a friend of mine asked if it's a felony to take wildlife from national parks and I really didn't know the answer. I tried googling it and I didn't get a "straight answer" mostly just stuff recommending you don't do it. But nothing flat out saying "DOING THIS CAN GET YOU SENT TO PRISON!"So yeah is it illegal to collect ants or any insects form national parks?

Don't know if it's a felony, but it's highly illegal. That one is actually very clear. Don't even go in a National Park with collecting equipment. This is why I don't walk any further north of that sign/gate, or the park boundary markers where we were Saturday.

Oh so where we were was okay because it wasn't technically the park?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users