• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1181 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted July 9 2018 - 2:29 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Ill post pics later, but was fun. Also caught C. fragilis, C. clarithorax, even a C. vicinus. Oh and 3x L. occidental. These don't seem to be a species I have encountered yet, they are also massive.

Really want to get some of those honeypots...

Edited by StopSpazzing, July 9 2018 - 2:30 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1182 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Boringmyrmex

:lol:

#1183 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Anyone go to the desert yet?

Drew went to the desert today, got tons of queens. He said pheidole, honeypots, and other queens flew (he even got some mexicanus!).

Where in the desert? I was east of Barstow today morning around 3am and didn’t see any flights. Lots of activities but no founding chambers or queens.

I checked there around 2:30 AM and it was as dead as can be. Not a single insect out anywhere. I couldn't understand how it would be that hot and humid, and soaked with rain, yet nothing out doing anything. Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree was completely different.

A cop car came by around 1am asking what I was doing, too. They were totally cool, and said they were just curious what a guy out in the middle of the desert was doing with a shovel.

I had the same thing happen to me in Lake of the Woods.

#1184 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:47 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Looks like I missed the yucca flight, I was busy that day. San Bernadino looks like it might have some flights though, could I maybe find C. fragilis or honeypots there? Also, I'm going to Needles Thursday through Saturday, does anyone know what types of ants live there?

#1185 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

BTW, I'm probably going back out early Wednesday morning.

#1186 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 3:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks like I missed the yucca flight, I was busy that day. San Bernadino looks like it might have some flights though, could I maybe find C. fragilis or honeypots there? Also, I'm going to Needles Thursday through Saturday, does anyone know what types of ants live there?

You might find some in San Bernardino.

Needles has lots of cool species.

#1187 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 4:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, lots of honeypots. Found an insane amount of C. fragilis, a handful of M. navajo, M. mexicanus, three "purplebacks" (undescribed honeypots), P. rugosus, and tiny bleh stuff like Boringmyrmex and Pheidole.

Those "purple-backs" aren't undescribed, they are just unidentifiable until they get workers. There are two or three, and possibly more different species with queens that color. The one's you found are most likely the ones I keyed out to M. mimicus a while back.

Interestingly, I found a whole bunch of them up in Big Bear on my way home from the desert yesterday. I'll be curious to see if these are M. mimicus too. I highly doubt they are M. wheeleri (the other species with queens that color). I actually saw quite a few very active Myrmecocystus nests in both locations that looked like M. mimicus.

#1188 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted July 9 2018 - 5:19 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Finally the images of Friday's catch

https://photos.app.g...Vb4vsB3op7RzGz6

highlights... from top to bottom:

_ccsQ-ceiXlTQi94Fg_7rJhzgLtAo8G52sYcUGAJ

• 3x C. ocreatus
  • C. fragilis
  • 2x Pheidole vistana/desertorum
  • 2x C. clarithorax
  • 3x L. occidentale
  • C. vicinus

• Enderz likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1189 Offline miwu - Posted July 9 2018 - 5:34 PM

miwu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Anyone go to the desert yet?

Drew went to the desert today, got tons of queens. He said pheidole, honeypots, and other queens flew (he even got some mexicanus!).
Where in the desert? I was east of Barstow today morning around 3am and didn’t see any flights. Lots of activities but no founding chambers or queens.

I checked there around 2:30 AM and it was as dead as can be. Not a single insect out anywhere. I couldn't understand how it would be that hot and humid, and soaked with rain, yet nothing out doing anything. Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree was completely different.

A cop car came by around 1am asking what I was doing, too. They were totally cool, and said they were just curious what a guy out in the middle of the desert was doing with a shovel.

I had the same thing happen to me in Lake of the Woods.

Yeah, that was really weird. I saw some ant activities and one Solenopsis queen at a gas station and nothing else. Everything seemed right. I should’ve just gone to Yucca Valley.

#1190 Offline nurbs - Posted July 9 2018 - 5:54 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Yeah, found some near Needles last year what could possibly be M. semirufus.

You might find some in San Bernardino.

Needles has lots of cool species.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#1191 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 6:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think those might just be the orange and black species that also has the "purple-back" queens with those strange colors. Those alates do look like those queens. The color of the thorax seems to vary a lot.

#1192 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 9 2018 - 6:38 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Would I be able to catch them tommorow night?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1193 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2018 - 9:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Catch what?

#1194 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 9 2018 - 10:28 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Catch what?
I meant pretty much all the queens you guys were catching near Joshua Tree. Sadly I won't make it anyway, although the odds were against me to begin with :/.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#1195 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 10 2018 - 1:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That spot is done for now. Most of the chambers will be washed away from more rain, and the ones remaining will have queens too deep to make it worth while digging for them. There are new spots now that got even more rain. I'll be checking out the area all along Route 66 between Klondike and Fenner. I'm just hoping it's not closed due to flooding or a washed out road after all the storms I saw go through.

#1196 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 10 2018 - 12:27 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

24 hour rain fall as of 1:30 pm

Seems to be blowing to the south-southwest at the moment

Edited by soulsynapse, July 10 2018 - 12:41 PM.

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#1197 Offline miwu - Posted July 10 2018 - 6:42 PM

miwu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Went to Joshua Tree just in time before the rain washed away the founding chambers. Spent a bit of time digging and got a handful of M. navajo and a P. rugosus. I was surprised with the low number of rugosus present. I did in the process accidentally kill a navajo and the only mexicanus I saw. Other than that I really enjoyed my first honeypot trip of the year. It started raining within a couple of hours and the founding chambers were no longer visible so I left early. On the way back I saw two Crematogaster queens at the gas station and I snatched them up.
  • nurbs likes this

#1198 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 10 2018 - 9:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I thought it was really strange that P. rugosus weren't flying while I was out there. I finally saw two of them running around by the end of the day Sunday, but that was it.

#1199 Offline KBant - Posted July 11 2018 - 1:44 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
What app or website do you guys use to track rainfall?

#1200 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 11 2018 - 1:46 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I'm tired and pissed off that was the worst outing I've ever had

Edited by soulsynapse, July 11 2018 - 1:46 PM.

• Enderz likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users