• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2447 replies to this topic

#1141 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted June 4 2018 - 7:21 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

How do you guys catch so much?

:>

#1142 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted June 5 2018 - 9:31 AM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Well I went black lighting in Trabuco Canyon last night with StopSpazzing, and we found Solenopsis molesta, S. xyloni, Temnothorax sp. and Crematogaster cf. mutans.

So it looks like with the Pogonomyrmex californicus, and Liometopum occidentale others have reported finding, I can't help but notice my prediction was 100% correct. :lol:  Did anyone find anything else?

I found rover ant queens  :D

#1143 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted June 6 2018 - 6:04 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

How do you guys catch so much?

Honestly, you need to know where they fly based on previous records (use Drews ant map), weather conditions need to be good, AND have some luck. I often hover in chat and people often post stuff about when things fly there first, giving you time to go. But most flights will NOT happen in your backyard. You need to be willing to drive.

Well I went black lighting in Trabuco Canyon last night with StopSpazzing, and we found Solenopsis molesta, S. xyloni, Temnothorax sp. and Crematogaster cf. mutans.

So it looks like with the Pogonomyrmex californicus, and Liometopum occidentale others have reported finding, I can't help but notice my prediction was 100% correct. :lol:  Did anyone find anything else?

I found rover ant queens  :D

Who doesn't?  (n)

Edited by StopSpazzing, June 6 2018 - 9:40 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1144 Offline Enderz - Posted June 6 2018 - 10:04 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Who doesn't?  (n)

Me spazz, unless I'm missing something :lol:

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1145 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted June 7 2018 - 6:51 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Who doesn't?  (n)

If you have argentines, you have rover ants. They are so small that they are often missed.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#1146 Offline Enderz - Posted June 7 2018 - 6:56 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Who doesn't?  (n)

If you have argentines, you have rover ants. They are so small that they are often missed.

Probably, I must mistake the workers for monomorium sometimes as I don't inspect them much.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1147 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2018 - 8:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I still don't know if they are Pogonomyrmex californicus or P. maricopa. The last time i found P. maricopa, they were in Blythe, along the Colorado River where the habitat is very similar - a sort-of desert marsh, all wet and muddy. They flew in September though, and this is May, very close to when P. californicus flies. I tried IDing them, but I still don't know for sure. P. californicus and P. maricopa are very difficult to tell apart. Does anyone know if P. californicus in this part of the Mojave Desert would be all red, or with just a small black stripe on the gaster vs. the entire gaster black?

gallery_2_1200_738775.jpg

gallery_2_1200_553065.jpg

They certainly move like P. maricopa or the desert bicolor variety of P. californicus. Another weird thing about these is that they seem to range in size a lot. The first few I found were so small I thought they were P. magnacanthus, but then I noticed the eyes were not large. The much smaller queens also dug nests that looked more like small lumps of fine sand, unlike what I normally see from Pogonomyrmex. Basically I'm pretty confused by these queens. I'm not even sure they're all the same species. Having no spines or large eyes, I doubt they can be anything other than the two I suspect they might be.

Most of the queens were in founding chambers found in the sandy areas next to the bushes. Some were still digging and some even running around.

gallery_2_1199_2815366.jpg

@ gcsnelling

Not sure if you saw this post, but do you think these are more likely to be P. californicus, or P. maricopa in this area?

#1148 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 25 2018 - 3:00 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I agree, very hard to tell. I think color is a bad option as it is somewhat variable, although I have never seen P. maricopa with any black on the gaster

• Enderz likes this

#1149 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2018 - 2:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

While everybody in the country is suffering through crazy heatwaves, it not all that warm here in SoCal at all. But, next weekend we should finally be getting a real heatwave. Right now it's looking like Trabuco Canyon should hit 103 F, leaving it around 89 when it gets dark. I will be there with my black light for sure. I'm also planning on running the light in the morning too just before it gets light. It should be around 77 at that time, so hopefully I'll get some Pheidole species I don't usually find, like I did last year.

In addition to the heatwave, it looks like the monsoon moisture should be showing up in the desert right around the 7th. This means isolated thunderstorms and mating flights. :D

gallery_2_1297_77955.jpg

Better start making plans now.

• nurbs, dermy and Enderz like this

#1150 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted July 5 2018 - 8:05 AM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Is it too early for M. mexicanus, navajo, or mimicus? 

#1151 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 5 2018 - 5:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is it too early for M. mexicanus, navajo, or mimicus? 

Absolutely not. If any spots where they are found get enough rain, they will probably fly. M. navajo I have noticed fly with slightly less rain than M. mexicanus. I think it's all a matter of how deep the water soaks into the ground.

• nurbs, gcsnelling and Enderz like this

#1152 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 6 2018 - 10:48 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Stuffs flying in riverside, it's been overcast for the last half of the day in east county

edit, pic: 

brachymyrmex depilis?

Edited by soulsynapse, July 6 2018 - 11:12 PM.

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#1153 Offline Enderz - Posted July 6 2018 - 11:39 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
Me, drew, Zeiss, and Spazz all just went down to trabuco canyon because of the huge heat wave. We found Solenopsis xyloni, some Forelius queens, a few alates of Liometopum occidentale, various camponotus, Camponotus ocreatus, parasitic Crematogaster species., and a whole bunch of Pheidole queens (zeiss only got 2 pity queens :( ). It was a super hot night and overall successful. Too bad nurbs missed it :tongue2: .
  • soulsynapse likes this

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1154 Offline SirAnticus - Posted July 6 2018 - 11:51 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Man I was hoping to get some C. ocreatus. Any chance I'll find some sunday if I flip rocks.

#1155 Offline soulsynapse - Posted July 7 2018 - 12:03 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

pics of c. ocreatus queens? been trying for them pretty consistently for a while now :(

edit: Can someone link the trail head you guys were at? Even if I find nothing I want to head out tomorrow.

Edited by soulsynapse, July 7 2018 - 12:28 AM.

• SirAnticus likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#1156 Offline Enderz - Posted July 7 2018 - 2:59 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

pics of c. ocreatus queens? been trying for them pretty consistently for a while now :(

edit: Can someone link the trail head you guys were at? Even if I find nothing I want to head out tomorrow.

I'll try for pics tomorrow, I'm kind of tired right now and finally got all of the ants tubed up. We were all pretty excited about seeing ocreatus, drew smiled finally. Also, I only have 1 queen, others have more.

The trail was https://www.google.c...!4d-117.5489151

Park on the south side of the loop, that is where we were. (the way to get in is a dirt road, lot of rocks and dust. Lots of holes as well.) We were looking for pheidole/crematogaster/others down by the rocky riverbank area. Now if walk the trail up, you can see plenty of camponotus nests and that is where we found the queens, on that trail. Both sides seem to yield results, and we found many scorpions as well :D . You shouldn't need to go too far to find stuff. Good Luck!

Edit:

It looks like a nice chance of rain in that location Tuesday, don't know if that means the C. fragilis will fly (spazz found a lone alate), but just a heads up :) .

Edited by EnderzATwar411, July 7 2018 - 3:05 AM.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1157 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 7 2018 - 6:21 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Me, drew, Zeiss, and Spazz all just went down to trabuco canyon because of the huge heat wave. We found Solenopsis xyloni, some Forelius queens, a few alates of Liometopum occidentale, various camponotus, Camponotus ocreatus, parasitic Crematogaster species., and a whole bunch of Pheidole queens (zeiss only got 2 pity queens :( ). It was a super hot night and overall successful. Too bad nurbs missed it :tongue2: .

Nurbs actually made it like an hourish after you guys all left.  I ended up getting two more Pheidole vistana/desertorum queens.  

It was down Trabuco Creek Rd, the farthest north one.  And we aren't positive they are Camponotus ocreatus, but they're pretty damn large.  Drew says they are and Nurbs says they're just large Camponotus vicinus.  

#1158 Offline nurbs - Posted July 7 2018 - 10:52 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Nurbs actually made it like an hourish after you guys all left.  I ended up getting two more Pheidole vistana/desertorum queens.  

It was down Trabuco Creek Rd, the farthest north one.  And we aren't positive they are Camponotus ocreatus, but they're pretty damn large.  Drew says they are and Nurbs says they're just large Camponotus vicinus.  

Met up with them at Trabuco later in the night after hitting up the mountains and compared them to the winged C. vicinus I found that night in the mountains.

This is all a guess, but what they are not are C. ocreatus queens. The major workers are large, yes, but the queens look like C. vicinus. C. ocreatus queens have large wide heads, the heads of these "Ocreatus" look like C. vicinus - thin and narrow. They aren't any larger than your usual Camponotus queens, and certainly not as bulky and built like a healthy C. quercicola queen.

They just seem to be some variant of vicinus or undescribed Camponotus sp, which is still just as interesting. But these aren't C. ocreatus. We should stop calling them that.

The C. vicinus I found that night in the mountains also were winged, and appear to be kicked out of their nest and were leftovers from a previous flight.

Found a ton of polygynous Pogonomyrmex subnitidus in the mountains, as well as the usual suspects such as S. xyloni and L. occidentale. More later, I'll post mating info.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#1159 Offline Enderz - Posted July 7 2018 - 10:59 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

What else should we call these ants then? Wow, looks like you got a lot of stuff :D

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1160 Offline nurbs - Posted July 7 2018 - 11:07 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

What else should we call these ants then? Wow, looks like you got a lot of stuff :D

Undescribed Camponotus

Camponotus cf. vicinus?

• gcsnelling and Enderz like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi: