• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2447 replies to this topic

#41 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2015 - 2:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

We had a pretty good night up in Mt. Baldy. Between me, Chromerust, and kellakk, we found about 30 of those large black and orange Tanaemyrmex Camponotus.

gallery_2_174_27589.jpg

No C. vicinus this time, which were what I really wanted, especially the all-black ones. We didn't even see any alates around the entrances to their nests. We didn't see any alates around the entrance of Liometopum occidentale nests yet either. I guess we now know which ones fly first.

• Shareallicu likes this

#42 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 15 2015 - 4:27 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Wow that's great. How did you find them? And you were spot on about your weather prediction!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 15 2015 - 8:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha it wasn't my weather prediction. I just follow wunderground.com.

These queens would very stealthfully land on the trail every now and then and just sit there not moving, making them seem as though they were just magically appearing out of nowhere. We never once saw any of them actually flying or landing, but I did see a couple in the process of removing their wings.

#44 Offline kellakk - Posted March 16 2015 - 8:59 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Drew, did you end up going to Big Bear yesterday?

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 16 2015 - 9:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No. I am planning to go on the next heat wave, or possibly Friday if it rains Thursday.

#46 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 17 2015 - 1:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm already thinking of going back up to the mountains again this weekend, as there is a chance of thunderstorms up there starting tomorrow, and then a slight warm-up.

#47 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 18 2015 - 8:18 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I'm hearing of possible thunderstorms yet the weather forecasts seem to no longer indicate that. Lucky me I finally have a long weekend with no major obligations, and of course I injure myself and car is in the shop!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2015 - 5:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

at 430 PM PDT... Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to slow moving thunderstorm over the High Desert near Phelan. This will cause Urban and Small Stream flooding. Radar estimates show 1.5 to 2.0 inches of rain have fallen between 330 and 430 PM.

(y)

#49 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 18 2015 - 6:43 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Got my car back but I'm still a partial gimp so I don't want to travel too far/too long. I'm thinking of exploring the San Gabriel Mountains. Has anyone been up around there? I'm thinking of driving up to Mount Wilson, randomly stopping along the way.

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2015 - 7:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well unless it's really hot, the best chance of finding queens is to go where it has rained. It actually poured rain in a couple parts of the San Gabriel Mountains, but if the elevation is too high, it's not going to be very warm, which is also a problem. I get screen shots of the radar so I can come up with a route that we'll get the most out of. Right now I can tell you the Adelanto area's going to be in this route. We could possibly get some Myrmecocystus testaceus or more Veromessor pergandei from there if anything.

Here's some of the areas that received a lot of rain.

Twin Peaks

med_gallery_2_368_164834.jpg

Moreno Valley/Calimesa

med_gallery_2_368_248048.jpg

Lake Los Angeles/Adelanto

med_gallery_2_368_13430.jpg

#51 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 18 2015 - 9:14 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

:good2: That's excellent info. What day do you plan on going? Instead of the San Gabriels, I'm now debating whether to stay local and check out Chino or go take a look at Palmdale -> Lake Los Angeles.

#52 Offline kellakk - Posted March 18 2015 - 9:16 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I doubt you'll find anything around here.  Those other places with rain are probably your best bet.

Edited by kellakk, March 18 2015 - 9:17 PM.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#53 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2015 - 12:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think the best bet is the Lake Los Angeles area where it rained. First of all it will be in the 80's Friday and Saturday, and the desert is where rain almost always triggers nuptial flights. Also that location won't require you showing up as they are flying. You only have to get there within a few days after the rain, where you can then just look for founding chambers. The mountains seem a lot more unpredictable, except when it's really hot, as that will almost always trigger some sort of flights. So since it's not so warm in the mountains, but it did rain in some spots, I figure I'll just pass through the area on the way to or from the desert so I can check both out. Might as well get the most out of the drive.

#54 Offline William. T - Posted March 19 2015 - 11:39 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Well unless it's really hot, the best chance of finding queens is to go where it has rained. It actually poured rain in a couple parts of the San Gabriel Mountains, but if the elevation is too high, it's not going to be very warm, which is also a problem. I get screen shots of the radar so I can come up with a route that we'll get the most out of. Right now I can tell you the Adelanto area's going to be in this route. We could possibly get some Myrmecocystus testaceus or more Veromessor pergandei from there if anything.

Here's some of the areas that received a lot of rain.

Twin Peaks

med_gallery_2_368_164834.jpg

Moreno Valley/Calimesa

med_gallery_2_368_248048.jpg

Lake Los Angeles/Adelanto

med_gallery_2_368_13430.jpg

Wow! Hard core anting!

• BugFinder likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#55 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 19 2015 - 5:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I doubt you'll find anything around here.  Those other places with rain are probably your best bet.

I'm not expecting many (if any) founding chambers, maybe see if I can get another Pheidole or a Solenopsis colony. It's just that the desert will be a guaranteed day trip...

#56 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 19 2015 - 5:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I may try to go to the Lake Los Angeles area this weekend. Actually, just anywhere in that matter. :thinking:

Edited by Gregory2455, March 19 2015 - 5:48 PM.

#57 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 21 2015 - 11:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Found some goodies. :) Some of which I am very confused by.

#58 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 21 2015 - 2:29 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Found some goodies. :) Some of which I am very confused by.

Mind posting locations or updating your map? I was nearly going to go but had no plan of where to go so I decided to stay put instead of possibly wasting the day wandering aimlessly.

Edit: Did you take any pictures of the founding chambers? My friend lives in the area and wated to look out for any.

Edited by Foogoo, March 21 2015 - 3:26 PM.

#59 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2015 - 2:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have already marked the locations on my map; just look for the newest points added.

Most founding chambers of medium to large sized ants just look like the typical fan shape with a hole in the middle.

gallery_2_120_7746.jpg

gallery_2_172_33215.jpg

Or in the case of the strange Dolopomyrmex pilatus queens we found, Dorymyrmex, some Pheidole and many other creatures, little mounds of dirt.

med_gallery_2_378_403413.jpg

A Dolopomyrmex pilatus queen very slowly and clumsily digging her founding chamber.

med_gallery_2_378_902857.jpg

Almost stepped on this and inadvertently tested out my new rattlesnake boots.

med_gallery_2_368_385120.jpg

All in all, we found 26 queens, one Pheidole sp., two Myrmecocystus testaceus, one Veromessor pergandei, and 22 Dolopomyrmex pilatus queens.

It was a pain to find founding chambers because we were there in the dark. Traffic was so horrible it took more than four hours to drive 100 miles.

After this we went through the mountains on the way back, but even though it poured rain there, we didn't see anything because it was just too cold.

Edited by dspdrew, March 22 2015 - 8:50 AM.

#60 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 22 2015 - 12:39 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Thank you! The pictures and locations are a huge help for someone's first anting season, which I'm sure I'm not the only one here.

This is also the first time I've heard of Dolopomyrmex and there doesn't appear to be much info on them. It'll be interesting to see how they work out!

• Jonathan21700 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users