• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why don't we have a Bee Keeping section?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 24 2019 - 7:59 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just a suggestion, especially since I have upgraded from ants to bees (but ant keeping isn't over for me just waiting for my solenopsis to fly).

• AntsBC likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2019 - 8:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well I guess I could make a subforum for it. I just haven't heard a whole lot about bee keeping on the forum or chat. I'll think about it.

• AntPhycho likes this

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 24 2019 - 8:41 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Pretty sure urban bee keeping is illegal.

#4 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 24 2019 - 8:50 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pretty sure urban bee keeping is illegal.

Yes, urban bee keeping is illegal (unless you get some type of special permit). Luckily, Southern California is not all urban. It also depends on the county you live in, but in most places, if you have 2-4 acres you are completely legal (some counties do require additional permits). If you are trying to tell me that I am doing something illegal then save your breath as I can assure you I have all proper documents and/or land requirement in place.  :D  :yes:

Edited by AntPhycho, April 24 2019 - 8:51 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsBC like this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#5 Online gcsnelling - Posted April 25 2019 - 2:23 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Yes,legality varies from place to place. I just think money bees are pure evil aside from the yummy honey they produce, sad that something so good comes from something as evil as they are.

• dermy and TennesseeAnts like this

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted April 25 2019 - 4:50 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well I guess I could make a subforum for it. I just haven't heard a whole lot about bee keeping on the forum or chat. I'll think about it.

I 'm a beekeeper and could participate if there were a forum. :)

Urban bee keeping isn't illegal everywhere and even when it is it's usually within city limits. There are some hoops to jump through but can be done.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#7 Offline Scherme - Posted April 25 2019 - 5:07 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I don't keep bees at the moment but I am bee-curious lol.

I have been thinking about it for quite a while and I have a good chunk of land.

A bee keeping subforum would be awesome with enough interest. 

• Antking117 and AntPhycho like this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2019 - 5:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've been intrigued by bee keeping, but studies showing how much Eurasian honeybees outcompete native bees has discouraged me.

I'm very interested in how to catch and raise new bumblebee queens. I may try that next spring.

• gcsnelling, Scherme and TennesseeAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Acutus - Posted April 25 2019 - 5:52 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Just a suggestion, especially since I have upgraded from ants to bees (but ant keeping isn't over for me just waiting for my solenopsis to fly).

Are bees an upgrade? I guess I'm downgrading to ants then?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I actually decided to do ants to compare and contrast the two. two social insects with very different ways of managing themselves. :)

• Nylanderiavividula likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2019 - 6:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Bees seem like less work to me since they feed themselves mostly and one doesn't have to worry about escapees. I guess the work comes in when you start swiping their honey. :lol:

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 25 2019 - 6:50 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

We don't have a beekeeping subforum because this is an antkeeping forum.

There are TONS of quality beekeeping groups on the internet.  Have you tried looking for them?

• Reacker, dermy, Martialis and 4 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 25 2019 - 6:59 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I've been intrigued by bee keeping, but studies showing how much Eurasian honeybees outcompete native bees has discouraged me.
I'm very interested in how to catch and raise new bumblebee queens. I may try that next spring.

I have kept leaf-cutter bees. Native and WAY more efficient at pollinating than the European honey bee.
  • gcsnelling and ANTdrew like this

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2019 - 7:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I also "keep" Osmia cornifrons bees in my yard. I just put out lots of bamboo stems and drill holes in wood, and they live in them year to year. They're lots of fun to observe!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 25 2019 - 9:05 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Their stings are also way less painful! I love watching them plug their tubes with mud.

#15 Offline Acutus - Posted April 25 2019 - 3:42 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

We don't have a beekeeping subforum because this is an antkeeping forum  :lol:   Have you tried looking for them?

Very hard to argue with that type of logic! :lol:

Wait! I do have an argument! LOL we have Termites and they aren't ants. Aren't they actually related to roaches?

Edited by Acutus, April 25 2019 - 3:44 PM.

• AntPhycho and TennesseeAnts like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 25 2019 - 5:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

We don't have a beekeeping subforum because this is an antkeeping forum  :lol:   Have you tried looking for them?

Very hard to argue with that type of logic! :lol:

Wait! I do have an argument! LOL we have Termites and they aren't ants. Aren't they actually related to roaches?

Yes, they are. I've never seen termite keeping forums, though, so maybe that's why.

• Acutus likes this

#17 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:29 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh come on drtmiller :sarcastic: . I don't think a bee keeping subforum will hurt your precious ant keeping forum so please don't fret.

Ants & Formicaria

#18 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:34 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Bees seem like less work to me since they feed themselves mostly and one doesn't have to worry about escapees. I guess the work comes in when you start swiping their honey. :lol:

Actually bee keeping is harder to do than you may think. Feeding bees is necessary during the winter and in part of spring, you also got to make sure your queen doesn't escape during a swarming and you must check your queen frequently and if she dies or leaves you must- well it's a lot to explain, this is why we need a small sub forum for this  :) (y)

• Scherme and Nylanderiavividula like this

Ants & Formicaria

#19 Offline AntPhycho - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:40 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Bumblebees are nice, but unfortunately you don't get honey and from what I have heard are a lot harder to raise.

Ants & Formicaria

#20 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:59 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I think honey bees shouldn't be focused on.  While they are beneficial to the plants we have, native bees need our help and honey bees just out compete them by a long shot.

I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter; I'm conflicted on honey bee keeping vs. native bees, due to the usefulness to crops and usefulness to native ecosystems as a whole, respectively.

Edited by Zeiss, April 26 2019 - 12:25 AM.

• dermy, Scherme, AntPhycho and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users