• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Hypoponera opacior behavior

29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 25 2019 - 2:50 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I dug around a rock after finding a orange hypoponera worker, and viola! a colony. no queen though. I noticed they nest differently, spreading out instead of the usual H. opacior central chamber.

#22 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 29 2019 - 10:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

the H. opacior are eating their cocoons. It seems I gave them too many and they are culling the population.

#23 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 2 2019 - 9:34 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I see some cocoon skin in the nest, but no new workers.

#24 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 5 2019 - 10:40 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

tons of new workers. The instant the work force rose the queens reverted back to staying in the nest. also laid a large batch of eggs.

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 8 2019 - 5:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Could the orange ones be H. punctatissima?   They could also be opaciceps.  You should put one under a microscope if you have one.  If not, send a worker to someone who does.  Then you can figure out what species they are.

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(1 tube with 8 queens, one fertile)

---Monomorium ergatognya(1) Pheidole navigans(3 separate queens) Hypoponera spp. (2 separate queens)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#26 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 9 2019 - 9:38 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Could the orange ones be H. punctatissima?   They could also be opaciceps.  You should put one under a microscope if you have one.  If not, send a worker to someone who does.  Then you can figure out what species they are.

This is just me, but I generally don't really care about the species. As long as I get the general behaviors and know how to keep them I don't really care for any other information on their taxonomy. Of course, if its a new species, that's an entirely different story.

They also died off with only 2 visible workers, so not really concerned with them. They did dig huge tunnel systems spanning the entire container, though.

Edited by ponerinecat, June 9 2019 - 9:40 AM.

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 14 2019 - 5:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
These can fly in the morning. One landed at my feet at school at 8:05 in the morning. Sadly, it diednin a dirt filled test tubes which was all I had. Probably pesticides. I never knew they were daytime flyers.
  • Ant_Dude2908 likes this

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(1 tube with 8 queens, one fertile)

---Monomorium ergatognya(1) Pheidole navigans(3 separate queens) Hypoponera spp. (2 separate queens)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#28 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2019 - 12:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've only ever seen alates in the day. Found a small elongate orange alate when I moved here, drowned in honey. I had no idea there were predatory ants.

#29 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 21 2019 - 9:38 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Seem to have laid new eggs. It's hard to tell with all the cocoon shreds. The workers constantly circle around the edge, like an ant mill.

#30 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 22 2019 - 9:33 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

will be gone for four weeks in china, so no updates for a while. Hope they pull through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users