• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera opacior behavior

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 25 2019 - 2:50 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I dug around a rock after finding a orange hypoponera worker, and viola! a colony. no queen though. I noticed they nest differently, spreading out instead of the usual H. opacior central chamber.

#22 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 29 2019 - 10:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

the H. opacior are eating their cocoons. It seems I gave them too many and they are culling the population.

#23 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 2 2019 - 9:34 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I see some cocoon skin in the nest, but no new workers.

#24 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 5 2019 - 10:40 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

tons of new workers. The instant the work force rose the queens reverted back to staying in the nest. also laid a large batch of eggs.

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 8 2019 - 5:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Could the orange ones be H. punctatissima?   They could also be opaciceps.  You should put one under a microscope if you have one.  If not, send a worker to someone who does.  Then you can figure out what species they are.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#26 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 9 2019 - 9:38 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Could the orange ones be H. punctatissima?   They could also be opaciceps.  You should put one under a microscope if you have one.  If not, send a worker to someone who does.  Then you can figure out what species they are.

This is just me, but I generally don't really care about the species. As long as I get the general behaviors and know how to keep them I don't really care for any other information on their taxonomy. Of course, if its a new species, that's an entirely different story.

They also died off with only 2 visible workers, so not really concerned with them. They did dig huge tunnel systems spanning the entire container, though.

Edited by ponerinecat, June 9 2019 - 9:40 AM.

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 14 2019 - 5:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
These can fly in the morning. One landed at my feet at school at 8:05 in the morning. Sadly, it diednin a dirt filled test tubes which was all I had. Probably pesticides. I never knew they were daytime flyers.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#28 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 15 2019 - 12:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've only ever seen alates in the day. Found a small elongate orange alate when I moved here, drowned in honey. I had no idea there were predatory ants.

#29 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 21 2019 - 9:38 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Seem to have laid new eggs. It's hard to tell with all the cocoon shreds. The workers constantly circle around the edge, like an ant mill.

#30 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 22 2019 - 9:33 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

will be gone for four weeks in china, so no updates for a while. Hope they pull through.

• Leo likes this

#31 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 23 2019 - 5:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

this colony has officially died.

#32 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 10:14 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Found another colony, 4-6 ergatoid queens. I feel like an alate queen estabalishes colonies and then is overtaken by her ergatoid daughters. This means that Hypoponera colonies can last forever. I maved them into a container of white marine sand.

#33 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 18 2019 - 10:19 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I forgot to mention the ones where I live, forage in the open, during the morning and evening. Therefore not entirely subterranean. I hope they fly again in fall.

Edited by NickAnter, August 18 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#34 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 12:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They drink sugar water! So they are not entirely predatory.

med_gallery_3141_1423_325384.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1423_240899.jpg

#35 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 19 2019 - 8:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
So jealous of your colony! Also, nice onservation! I really want to succesfully raise a colony from a single queen.

#36 Offline Unfrozen - Posted August 20 2019 - 9:09 AM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

omg i live in Canada I'm so jealous of your guys ants

#37 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 20 2019 - 2:26 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Giving these away, already on order. So sad to see these go, best colony I've had.

#38 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 30 2019 - 6:04 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Old observations: ant larvae are accepted as food, as are large insects, even small mealworms (dead, of course)

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 17 2019 - 2:12 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So the buyer never confirmed his purchase, I still have them. I have observed a rescue bahaviour. Two workers got stuck under the pane of plexiglass on their nest and 3-4 ants began digging at the site. They excavated wood from around the workers. they eventually got a tunnel big enough to have a worker crawl in and pull the trapped ants out. The trapped ants were cleaned and then left to their own devices. They have ignored the tunnel and stopped digging after the rescue was complete.

#40 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 17 2019 - 2:58 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I got Hypoponera opacior today, it'll be my first actual attempt at keeping them. Dunno if I got fertile queens though, but I got a few alates+alate brood. Maybe I got ergatoid queens, but they look too similar to workers for my eyes to tell the difference. But if not, hopefully they'll mate with each other.

The ones here actively forage on the surface once the colony gets to a decent size. The colony I got numbered 50+ workers inside the colony not including foragers. So quite a large colony. They were eating a large dragonfly leg, which is how I knew they were there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users