• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline HYLIAN - Posted April 23 2019 - 12:04 AM

HYLIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon
Hi! Aspiring Oregonian ant-keeper here. I've always been fascinated by ants, but honestly didn't know that keeping a proper colony was a thing until I stumbled upon AntsCanada on YouTube. His videos definitely inspired me, and so I'm finally giving it a go (with my wife's blessing to boot!). I've a decent grasp on the legal situation here (natives and naturalized only) and the rudimentary basics of ant-keeping, but any and all advice is absolutely welcome. Anyhoo, see y'all around!
  • Acutus likes this

#2 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:01 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Welcome! I'm up on the other side of the Columbia river. AntsCanada is how I stumbled into the ant-keeping hobby as well, though that was a long time ago before he was really popular. If you don't have any ants yet I recommend starting with Tetramorium (pavement ants), since they're fairly easy and a good starter species for someone just getting into it. 

• HYLIAN likes this

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:04 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Welcome to the addiction!! :D :D :D

• HYLIAN likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :)

• HYLIAN likes this

#5 Offline HYLIAN - Posted April 29 2019 - 9:35 PM

HYLIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon

Welcome! I'm up on the other side of the Columbia river. AntsCanada is how I stumbled into the ant-keeping hobby as well, though that was a long time ago before he was really popular. If you don't have any ants yet I recommend starting with Tetramorium (pavement ants), since they're fairly easy and a good starter species for someone just getting into it.

Ah! Hello, fellow Pacific Northwesterner. :) I've really enjoyed his videos; I discovered them about two years ago, but was a traveler at the time. I'm finally settled down now, so I have a real opportunity to start ant keeping. It's kinda fun, for lack of better terms, to meet someone (so to speak) who was inspired by the same person. Thank you for the recommendation! I had my eye on the Pheidole and Pogonomyrmex species that are legally allowed in Oregon, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm gonna have to rely on luck (who is a fickle mistress, in my experience) to find a queen. I've only spotted a handful of colonies in my area, and they all look like Camponotus so far, but who knows what I may stumble upon. Anyways, thanks again for the advice, and thank you for the warm welcome!

Welcome to the addiction!! :D :D :D

Yeah yeah yeah!! :D :D haha thank you for the welcome and for allowing me to share in your excitement! :)

Welcome. :)

Thank you kindly. :) I am pleasantly surprised by the warmth of the welcome I'm receiving here. Granted, the only forums I've belonged to previously are 4chan and Reddit, so my experience might be a little out of balance. :P haha

#6 Offline Leo - Posted April 30 2019 - 4:55 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

A warm welcome from China!

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 30 2019 - 7:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Welcome from Tennessee!

#8 Offline HYLIAN - Posted May 5 2019 - 9:06 PM

HYLIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon

A warm welcome from China!

Welcome from Tennessee!

Thank you both! I'm excited to join this wonderful community, where people from all over the planet are brought together by our shared love of ants :3
  • Leo likes this

#9 Offline gordanmeilec - Posted May 30 2019 - 12:14 PM

gordanmeilec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome!

Redtube Beeg Spankbang

Edited by gordanmeilec, May 31 2019 - 11:43 AM.

#10 Offline Kahldris - Posted June 13 2019 - 6:30 AM

Kahldris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey man I'm from Oregon too componotus pennsylvanicus is having mating flights right now! Went to the river Tuesday and man there were alot if queens.

Fyi

#11 Offline HYLIAN - Posted June 13 2019 - 5:45 PM

HYLIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon

Hey man I'm from Oregon too componotus pennsylvanicus is having mating flights right now! Went to the river Tuesday and man there were alot if queens.

Fyi

My dude! Thank you for the tip! I'm gonna zip over to the local river and see if I can't find a little lady looking for a home. It's been pretty hot the last couple of days where I'm at, everything is bone dry, but I didn't even think about going down to the river. Thank you again!

#12 Offline alexanderdani95 - Posted July 29 2019 - 8:32 AM

alexanderdani95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi! Aspiring Oregonian ant-keeper here. I've always been fascinated by ants, but honestly didn't know that keeping a proper colony was a thing until I stumbled upon AntsCanada on YouTube. His videos definitely inspired me, and so I'm finally giving it a go (with my wife's blessing to boot!). ['ve a decent grasp on the legal situation here (natives and naturalized only) and the rudimentary basics of ant-keeping, but any and all advice is absolutely welcome. Anyhoo, see y'all around!

Welcome.  :)

Edited by alexanderdani95, July 30 2019 - 11:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users