• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera opacior polygyny solved

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 22 2019 - 6:51 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

When i first found hypoponera here, I asked the forum about polygyny. I noticed several queens in all the colonies I found. Their abdomen was bloated, and they played a docile role, never venturing outward and always looking for workers to guide them. They would tandem run with workers until the worker entered the nest. Then I found a mature colony in a flower pot. It was single queened. Not only that, the queen was AGGRESSIVE. She dismembered foreign workers even though her daughters accepted them. The colony eventually died. When examined, the queen  had a noticeably larger mesosoma, along with wing scars and eyes. The polygynous queens were identical to workers except for behavior and size of their gaster. So I concluded the polygynous queens were in fact gamergates. Hypoponera winged males leave the nest during flights, so it seems impossible. But hypoponera opacior are known to have ergatoid males, which are workerlike and mate with queens while they are still in their pupae. Perhaps some of these pupae were workers. In fact, the majority of ponerinae have gamergates. So it's not unlikely that the polygynous queens are gamergates.

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 22 2019 - 6:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

comparism of worker and two gamergates

med_gallery_3141_1516_92046.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1516_888499.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1516_262365.jpg

could one queen with a low rate of egg laying have possibly produced all these eggs in one batch?

(eggs are the slightly white clumps near the bottom of the tunnel)

med_gallery_3141_1516_432630.jpg

med_gallery_3141_1516_783930.jpg

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 22 2019 - 6:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

https://www.alexande...atural-History/Male-Ants/i-kWQM3Cs

https://link.springe...1007/BF01242564

Edited by ponerinecat, April 22 2019 - 7:59 PM.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 22 2019 - 7:59 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

www.antwiki.org/wiki/Hypoponera_opacior

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 22 2019 - 8:04 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ignore all this. I did more reasearch. These are not gamergates, they are ergatoid queens. Sorry for wasting your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users