• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How do some species fly multiple times?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted April 22 2019 - 1:59 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Question, some species of ants fly multiple times a year or month.How does that work exactly,are there nests that haven't flown yet or did part of the alates fly before and the other parf after.I'm asking because for example if i go to the same field i did a couple of weeks ago where i caught 140 messor structor queens,can they fly at the same place again?

Edited by NikolaBale, April 22 2019 - 2:00 AM.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 22 2019 - 4:24 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Some species only have one large flight, while others have several smaller ones. The ones with multiple flight release only some of the alates. Although, in general, even the species that have multiple flights usually have a large one followed by a few smaller ones. In some areas, where a species is extremely dominant and has access to all resources in the area (like RIFA in the southern US) they might constantly produce alates and fly all year round.

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 22 2019 - 7:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Formica have multiple flights. Usually there is one larger flight first though.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 22 2019 - 2:15 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Ants will fly whenever the environmental conditions are met and they have alates in the nest. Because of this, I would venture to say that very few species, if any, only fly once a season. Not all alates eclose at the same time, and those environmental conditions are usually met at least a few times a year.

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and Somethinghmm like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic