• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Id Please much better pictures!

Best Answer Acutus , April 20 2019 - 7:06 PM

Camponotus chromaiodes

The only two options would be Camponotus herculeanus and Camponotus chromaiodes, as they're the only large black & red Camponotus species in the Camponotus subgenus found in eastern North America. C. chromaiodes is known for the golden hairs on their gasters (like C. pennsylvanicus) while herculeanus lacks them. C. herculeanus is also likely very rare or absent in Maryland because they've yet to be collected there.

Thank you very much!!! :D We originally were thinking herculeanus but another on this forum also pointed to Chromaiodes. Looks like mystery solved!!! Yeah!!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Acutus - Posted April 20 2019 - 5:27 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Found: April 18th

Habitat: Rotten tree section

Place Howard County MD, USA

I know I put up a post earlier but my friend that helped collect the ants just sent me amazing pics and I thought these might be better for a positive ID.

Previously ID'd as Camponotus Chromaiodes

iqvrwA6.jpg

qVlCyHK.jpg

GJ1IPov.jpg

X2g13mQ.jpg

1N5QEDT.jpg

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 20 2019 - 6:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus chromaiodes

The only two options would be Camponotus herculeanus and Camponotus chromaiodes, as they're the only large black & red Camponotus species in the Camponotus subgenus found in eastern North America. C. chromaiodes is known for the golden hairs on their gasters (like C. pennsylvanicus) while herculeanus lacks them. C. herculeanus is also likely very rare or absent in Maryland because they've yet to be collected there.

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted April 20 2019 - 7:06 PM   Best Answer

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Camponotus chromaiodes

Thank you very much!!! :D We originally were thinking herculeanus but another on this forum also pointed to Chromaiodes. Looks like mystery solved!!! Yeah!!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users