• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

This Queen prefers the tubes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jean - Posted April 20 2019 - 2:16 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

I have a C. Cerasi colony of about 300 workers. It's grown fast, and live in both a Tar Heels "Piece of Haven" (small) formicarium + outworld (on top) and a larger AC outworld...the TH formicarium and AC outworld are connected with long, clear vinyl tubes. The ants mainly kept their brood in the TH outworld, near the heat source (a heating pad on one side), but lots of workers hang out on top of the TH water tower....and plenty of them hang out in the AC outworld as well.

So the Queen, who used to be right by the TH heat source, has now moved into one of the long vinyl tubes (which also sits on top of a piece of heated ceramic tile). It's a much more exposed environment, not dark, and not humid. It's warm, but seems far less desirable than the TH formicarium.

She's laying eggs, which the workers are piling in one part of the tubing. She did spend several weeks in the TH formicarium, which is dark, but about a week ago moved into the tubing.

The larvae and pupae are still in the TH outworld, near the heat ... the worker ants in the TH formicarium are still hanging out on top of the water tower. So, nothing else has changed.

Now I have a tube with tons of new eggs, and a Queen. Should I be worried?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 20 2019 - 2:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If the setup you provided was smaller, and the ants were suffering or dying as a result of an unsuitable environment, then you should consider changing things.

However, with larger, more complex setups as you described (multiple containers connected by tubing, heat sources, water sources), there will frequently be cases where ants find parts of the formicarium more suitable, and will relocate there if they feel it is safe to do so.  This can include things like placing brood in the foraging area or nesting in tubing.  While it may be frustrating, as long as the ants have an environment in which they are growing at some rate, instead of dying, there is no cause for alarm.

If you are determined to have the ants nest where you prefer, you must first ascertain whether the ants are being attracted to where they're currently at, or being repelled by something in the space you'd prefer them to nest.  Once you can determine this, you may be able to take corrective action to influence where they decide to nest.

For example, you mentioned that the tubing was in close proximity to a heat source.  What would happen if you move the heat source nearer to the formicarium?  Since it is presumably drier in the tubing, is it possible the formicarium is too wet or humid?  Perhaps they are attracted to the confined space and security the tubing offers?

Just keep in mind that the longer nest sites are established with a colony scent, the more difficult it becomes to persuade ants to move.  So you should just be patient so long as the colony remains in good health.

• Barristan likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Jean - Posted April 21 2019 - 6:22 AM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

thanks...I'd read somewhere a Queen in the outworld isn't a good sign, but I'd agree this colony is generally happy and healthy. Here's a video of the Queen in her tunnel.

Album:
images
comments

Haven't posted video before, hope it works! Happy Easter....

well that was a bust ... will try again once I've figured out the right file type ...

#4 Offline Carpenter - Posted April 22 2019 - 7:55 AM

Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi Jean,

Can't see the vid link you posted but I can say Camponotus seem to not care much about light levels but they are sensitive to heat and humidity. Not in the sense that they sicken easily but in the sense that they will seek out the most suitable spots pretty vigorously.

It could be there is to much or not enough humidity for the eggs where the queen was previously, I'd recommend keeping heat away from the tubes, since they're meant to be thoroughfares/tunnels, in nature those spots would be relatively cool compared to the nest, Camponotus are use to creating a sort of "heat pile" within their nest using composting of plant matter so if heat is on the tubing, the queen probably considers it to be within the nest  

#5 Offline Jean - Posted April 22 2019 - 11:42 AM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

These are Cerasi, Carpenter BUT I do think your suggestion to remove heat from the tubes is a good one. Thanks! And, still working out how to upload video!

#6 Offline Lisberg - Posted April 22 2019 - 12:16 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

Upload the video to youtube - insert link. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users