• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

*discontinued* Cloud's Camponotus chromaiodes Journal (Updated May 24th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Acutus - Posted May 13 2019 - 7:11 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Sux! Sorry dude. Was rooting for ya!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#82 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 15 2019 - 4:30 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Should I just release this colony, maybe give the nest to some other species? Cause this colonies death is inevitable at this point.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#83 Offline kounelus - Posted May 15 2019 - 8:55 AM

kounelus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana

You shouldn't really release captive colonies, since there is a concern about disease or just displacing a natural colony.

I would freeze them and if you had another colony transfer the brood. As long as you're sure the queen didn't die from a disease or parasite.

#84 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 15 2019 - 9:12 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

You shouldn't really release captive colonies, since there is a concern about disease or just displacing a natural colony.

I would freeze them and if you had another colony transfer the brood. As long as you're sure the queen didn't die from a disease or parasite.

Okay. I'll give the brood to my C. chromaiodes queens. They'd probably benefit from having more brood, but I only have 3 queens, and I don't want to kill any of the brood, but I'm not sure if I should give my queens so much brood. Should I?

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#85 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 15 2019 - 11:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yes. More brood. Give them a couple callow workers to help.

#86 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 15 2019 - 1:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It is far better to focus on finding nuptial queens to prevent this sort of thing.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#87 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 15 2019 - 2:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
This was probably a satellite nest.

#88 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 15 2019 - 4:19 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I'm gonna keep the queens communally, giving them a Mini Hearth-like formicarium, with plenty of room for all of the brood. The addition of all of the queens will insure that the queens are able to care for the massive amount of brood, without having them be able to take care of the brood all by themselves, which would definitely not be an easy task. I will also take Ant_Dude2908's advice and add a few workers to help out around the nest.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#89 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 16 2019 - 5:20 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I collected as much brood as I could, and gave all of it to the queens in a small container. The queens seem to get along pretty well, feeding and cleaning each other often, with the occasional fight here and there. The formicarium is almost ready, and I will be introducing the queens to it tonight once I get the plastic sheet over it and attach the outworld.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#90 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 4:44 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I've moved them into the formicarium, but I think one of the queens is dead, probably killed by the other queens. They haven't moved all of the brood into the nest yet, and I'm not sure if there's even enough space.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#91 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 7:56 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Ahh, pleometrosis at its finest. The dominant queen has killed one of the queens and has now ripped off her abdomen, and the other has been mortally wounded, and is one death's door. I guess Camponotus queens do hate each other. :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#92 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 20 2019 - 8:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Update? I found out these love Organic agave syrup, found at Starbucks. XD Free ant food!

#93 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 20 2019 - 8:34 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I'm still waiting for the pupa to hatch, but the queen and the worker I introduced to her have been tending to them. I gave them a pre-killed fly.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#94 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 20 2019 - 8:35 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
How many pupae?

#95 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 20 2019 - 8:43 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

How many pupae?

Around 50.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#96 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 24 2019 - 6:49 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The last queen has unexpectedly died. :(

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#97 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 24 2019 - 7:15 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Probably formic acid poisoning. :(

#98 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 24 2019 - 7:16 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Probably formic acid poisoning. :(

Yeah. :/

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users