• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

*discontinued* Cloud's Camponotus chromaiodes Journal (Updated May 24th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 28 2019 - 10:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Let the colony scent dissipate for two weeks. Introduce the new queen while the colony is chilled.

Okay, I'll try that. I'll take care of the queen until then. In the mean time, I may go back and look through those other logs. I won't bring them home this time though.

• TennesseeAnts and Acutus like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#42 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 4:20 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

This colony is the most aggressive I have ever owned! I stick one finger in their formicarium, and they're all over my hand in seconds! I put a living crane fly in with them, and it's dead in 20 seconds! I lightly breath on them and they're clicking their jaws against the floor of the bucket and curling their abdomens up under them. I so much as look at them a little too close and they look up at me, curl their abdomens forwards, and shoot a stream of formic acid at my face! I thought only Formica did that! They downed en entire medicine bottle top full of sugar water in a few hours. I absolutely adore these ants!

• TennesseeAnts and Acutus like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#43 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2019 - 6:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Mine do that too. Most large Camponotus colonies are extremely aggressive. Mine shoot Formica acid streams too! I was really surprised by that.

#44 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 6:38 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Mine do that too. Most large Camponotus colonies are extremely aggressive. Mine shoot Formica acid streams too! I was really surprised by that.

Yeah. I kept telling my 13 year old sister to keep my 3 year old sister away from them because she kept sticking her face directly into the container with them, her hair dangling in. I really didn't want her around such aggressive ants!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#45 Offline David19 - Posted April 29 2019 - 7:13 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

I caught a total of 17 camponotus queens this year! So far all of them are doing great!

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#46 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 7:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I caught a total of 17 camponotus queens this year! So far all of them are doing great!

Jeez! I currently have 11 queens, and nuptial flights are just beginning!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#47 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I beat all of you! I caught 42!

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#48 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I beat all of you! I caught 42!

HOLY H*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#49 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
And 34 pennslyvanicus.
And 7 americanus.

#50 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 8:36 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

And 34 pennslyvanicus.
And 7 americanus.

I've only seen C. americanus workers so far.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#51 Offline David19 - Posted April 29 2019 - 9:53 AM

David19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

And 34 pennslyvanicus.
And 7 americanus.

Dang! That's awesome! 

#52 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 29 2019 - 10:15 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I've bee on the lookout for Camponotus americanus queens or even some more colonies, but I haven't found any. I may go to my park today to look for some in the area I found them last. I would absolutely love to raise a colony of them! There's only one native Camponotus I'd love to raise more though, Camponotus socius!

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#53 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 2 2019 - 1:33 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Today, two of my newest queen's eggs have hatched! I'm not sure when those eggs were laid, as I found her with the eggs, but I'm guessing they're a few weeks old. Around three or four maybe. This is the first time I've had a founding Camponotus queen hatch eggs, or come to think of it, it's the first time I've had a Camponotus founding queen even lay eggs!  :lol:

*EDIT* The so-called larva were actually just eggs, just lighter in color. They looked different from a certain angle.  :facepalm:

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, May 4 2019 - 6:59 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#54 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2019 - 2:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! A second one of the queens I found laid eggs - one of the winged ones actually.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#55 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 2 2019 - 6:43 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Excellent! A second one of the queens I found laid eggs - one of the winged ones actually.

That's good!  (y)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#56 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2019 - 6:58 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I checked on the queens, and all of them have eggs! I'll just have to hope that they don't turn into drones. All of the queens had removed their wings prior to capture, so I'm guessing they're fertile, but I'll have to see...

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#57 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 3:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I'm getting ready to introduce a queen to the colony, but first, I have to figure out how in the world to chill them! They are currently housed in a very large Tupperware bin with is far too large to fit in my refrigerator. I don't really have anything to chill them in. I'm also wondering which one of my queens I should introduce to the colony. I have 5 of them, and all of them are founding queens, so I'm thinking that the first growth will be slow until the queen starts laying more eggs.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, May 7 2019 - 3:33 AM.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#58 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:37 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Actually, she should start laying eggs as much as she is fed, just like a queen with a huge amount of biological workers.

#59 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:48 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Actually, she should start laying eggs as much as she is fed, just like a queen with a huge amount of biological workers.

Ah, okay. I was wondering if that would be the case.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#60 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Founding queens only have such small brood because she has a small amount of fat stores to feed herself and her developing workers. I feed my founding queens. That is why my founding colonies have larger brood and more workers at the end of the year than a wild colony, or a queen that was just ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users