• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can any Canadian ant species go without hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 7 2019 - 12:14 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
One of the most disappointing parts of being an antkeeper in Canada is that you have to hibernate your ants for almost half the year, and I’m sure many other Canadians will relate. I know hibernation is essential for most ant colonies but is there any Canadian species that can go without it or not develop any bad side effects from staying out?

Edited by Manitobant, April 7 2019 - 4:15 PM.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 7 2019 - 9:07 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Tetramorium immigrans doesn't require it, if you have those in your area.

Other than that, none come to mind. If you like having some colonies active all year round, look into reverse hibernation. It takes a year to get going but is worth it in my opinion.
  • Lazarus and ANTdrew like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2019 - 4:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Sorry, man. As luck would have it, you live in one of the coldest major cities on earth. I would look into reverse hibernating like YS said. Chrystals has written about it on here; she also lives in a very cold part of Canada. Just stay patient - it's needed in so many aspects of this crazy hobby. Soon enough, you'll be deciding where you want to live. Maybe somewhere further south could be part of your life plan.

At the same time, hibernating is kind of a nice break. I pulled out my colonies just a few weeks ago, and I already sort of wish I could put them back in the fridge, lol. You don't necessarily need to hibernate the full length of your winter, too.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted April 8 2019 - 5:05 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Reverse hibernation is actually a pretty great idea. That way you can have twice the amount of colonies you'd normally have space for because half of them will always be in their hibernation quarter.

• AntsBC likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 8 2019 - 12:18 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Soon enough, you'll be deciding where you want to live. Maybe somewhere further south could be part of your life plan.

believe me, I’m definitely looking forward to it. I’m thinking about moving down to AZ where a lot of the other hardcore entomologists live or study. I would have to change my name to Arizonant though! Also, do you have a link to the reverse hibernation thread?

Edited by Manitobant, April 8 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#6 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 8 2019 - 12:33 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

As some have pointed out, I too welcome the downtime during hibernation to plan and build for the next year. Sure I miss seeing the "little ones" during that time, but I only hibernate for 4 months so it's not that bad (especially since I got a small fridge just for the ants).  The idea of 'reverse hibernation' is new to me so I'll have to look that up. It would be nice to have perhaps one active colony during the winter.

My online ant spreadsheet

#7 Offline BeginnerAntKeeper - Posted April 9 2019 - 4:09 AM

BeginnerAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Well here in the tropics there is no hibernation so it’s feeding and taking care of the ants all year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users