• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Aphaenogaster treatae Journal - Jord

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2021 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

POPULAR

Beginning 9-14-2021

This is the first year I've kept Aphaenogaster. I am starting this journal to log the progress of an A. fulva  treatae queen that is special to me because my five year old son found her while we were camping in Prince William National Forest. I've trained the lad well, apparently!

She was found on an exceedingly hot and humid morning on July 12th. My son spotted her walking along the bottom of a slide on a playground at the park. She still had her wings when we collected her. She did end up shedding her wings a few days later. Since I've decided to keep her, I've officially named her Jord, which means soil or earth in Norse.

IMG 0243

Here's a look at some of her first nanitics. The colony is growing pretty quickly for such large ants.
IMG 0777

I've been feeding them insect pieces every other day, along with some Sunburst and sugar grains, which I've heard these will eat. Feeding them in the tube was getting more difficult, so on 9/11 I moved them into a mini-hearth by simply shaking them into the outworld.

IMG 0923

They quickly found the way down into the nest and settled in. Everything about these ants makes them seem very easy to keep compared to some of my other mischievous colonies. The best part is that my son is very excited about the colony. Hopefully he can find many more queens in the future.
IMG 0924

Edited by ANTdrew, March 4 2022 - 6:33 AM.

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper014, Antkeeper01 and 10 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 14 2021 - 8:53 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

What a beauty! I look forward to seeing them grow! 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted September 14 2021 - 9:37 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

A. Fulva is so much prettier than A. picea, I'm jealous (as per usual with antkeepers south of me)

• ANTdrew likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 14 2021 - 12:18 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

A. Fulva is so much prettier than A. picea, I'm jealous (as per usual with antkeepers south of me)

Aphaenogaster is beautiful overall!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 2 2022 - 1:31 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I assume they are in hibernation now?

• NancyZamora4991 likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 2 2022 - 2:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, in my parents’ basement. They haven’t been that cold yet, but that should change.
  • Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 3 2022 - 2:50 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I love fulva.  Hopefully you can find Aphaenogaster Tennesseensis too this year since Aphaenogaster Fulva are the hosts for A.Tennesseensis.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 19 2022 - 8:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-19-2021

This colony remains in diapause. They are in my parents' unheated basement, which is down in the 40s now. I checked them on Monday, and everything looks great. I'm looking forward to waking them up in a month or so. I expect big things from this colony in 2022.

• TacticalHandleGaming, azzaaazzzz00, NancyZamora4991 and 1 other like this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2022 - 5:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-22-22

Happy Twosday! I officially woke this colony up from diapause last week. They had no losses over the winter and have a cluster of 20 or more eggs at the moment. I've fed them a piece of dubia roach, one cricket, and a few hemp hearts. All the protein sources were eagerly accepted. I really like the graceful, slow-mo movements of these ants. I have high expectations for them this season!

You can see their egg cluster here:

IMG 1978

Some shots of Jord and her workers.
IMG 1979
IMG 1980

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo, TacticalHandleGaming and 4 others like this

#10 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 23 2022 - 6:05 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

There is a possibility of this not being A. fulva, as the workers seem to be much larger. Can you get a picture of the propodeal spines?

• Antkeeper014, Antkeeper01 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#11 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 23 2022 - 7:50 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Update 2-22-22

Happy Twosday! I officially woke this colony up from diapause last week. They had no losses over the winter and have a cluster of 20 or more eggs at the moment. I've fed them a piece of dubia roach, one cricket, and a few hemp hearts. All the protein sources were eagerly accepted. I really like the graceful, slow-mo movements of these ants. I have high expectations for them this season!

You can see their egg cluster here:

Some shots of Jord and her workers.

These are some beautiful ants ANTdrew best of luck with the colony this year! I agree with OiledOlives that these might not be Aphaenogaster fulva as the workers seem to large I think these might be A.treatae. 

Edited by ColAnt735, March 3 2022 - 9:55 AM.

• Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2022 - 9:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

There is a possibility of this not being A. fulva, as the workers seem to be much larger. Can you get a picture of the propodeal spines?

Interesting. I’ll try to get a good shot.
  • azzaaazzzz00 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 24 2022 - 5:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Addendum 2-24-22

I'm happy to say that three of Jord's eggs have hatched into larvae. They still have quite a few left to hatch, so their activity level should really spike up. They are readily taking all sorts of protein. I'll work on getting some more photos tonight.

• TacticalHandleGaming and NancyZamora4991 like this

#14 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 24 2022 - 6:26 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Addendum 2-24-22

I'm happy to say that three of Jord's eggs have hatched into larvae. They still have quite a few left to hatch, so their activity level should really spike up. They are readily taking all sorts of protein. I'll work on getting some more photos tonight.

That is awesome!!!!  (y) I wish I had aphaenogaster where I live.

• NancyZamora4991 likes this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 1 2022 - 11:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3/1/2022

This weird and wonderful colony is really growing on me. Aphaenogasters' lack of a social stomach makes them very active ants. The queen dives right into any of the dubia roach pieces I've been feeding them after workers drag them down into the THA Mini-Hearth nest. They have five fat larvae at the moment with more eggs yet to hatch. Workers stuck the larvae right into a roach butt I fed last night, and I could watch them wriggling away as they fed. I imagine it will be even more fun to watch their feeding responses once their numbers increase.

IMG 2030
IMG 2032
IMG 2033

• aznphenom, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 1 other like this

#16 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 1 2022 - 11:47 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

If your Aphaenogaster are anything like mine, a very aggressive worker response to protein will become normal once they have at least 40 or so workers. 20+ workers come pouring out of the nest every time now in my colony. 

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#17 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 1 2022 - 12:17 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Update 3/1/2022

This weird and wonderful colony is really growing on me. Aphaenogasters' lack of a social stomach makes them very active ants. The queen dives right into any of the dubia roach pieces I've been feeding them after workers drag them down into the THA Mini-Hearth nest. They have five fat larvae at the moment with more eggs yet to hatch. Workers stuck the larvae right into a roach butt I fed last night, and I could watch them wriggling away as they fed. I imagine it will be even more fun to watch their feeding responses once their numbers increase.

Just reading this journal makes me want Aphaenogaster. Great work with these beautiful ants!

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and 1 other like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#18 Offline ArmansAnts - Posted March 3 2022 - 5:17 AM

ArmansAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNew York City
If I’m looking at this correctly, those larger ones with the big lobes on the scapes should be A. treatae.
  • TennesseeAnts, Otter, ANTdrew and 3 others like this

Ant-Keeping & Ethology Discord Server: https://discord.gg/2QdvQescDW
Arman's Ants YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube....r6PhuBZiYATC-Gg

My Journal: https://www.formicul...-updated-91620/

Looking for news in Myrmecology? Click below!

antwire_formi.png

#19 Offline Otter - Posted March 3 2022 - 7:08 AM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston
I agree with arman, this is definitely treatae. Flight also matches, exceeding hot day in july. They take off when the clouds pass over according to a few sources. I believe this is the first A. treatae colony I have seen that was founded from a single queen.

Edited by Otter, March 3 2022 - 7:10 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Antkeeper014 and 2 others like this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 3 2022 - 9:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Plot twist!
  • Antkeeper014 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users