• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Blood sucking mites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 3 2019 - 10:36 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
I recently found a parasitic lasious. After I caught her I looked around where she was at and dug up a giant colony of lasious. Not quite sure what species I just know there lasious.

I caught a few and placed them in with the queen. they groomed her as soon as they touched her. The colony was massive, brood chambers everywhere, just in the little area I dug up. I used a testube and scooped up what I thought was a few dozen workers and a big brood pile. After I separated most of them from the dirt I had over 100 workers and about 500 eggs and larva. I made sure I didn't bother the host colony too bad. They still had 1000s of workers and eggs left. After I put them in the setup with the queen. I noticed two of the workers had a mite each. They we're blood colored balls on there back legs. I took the two workers out and spent about an hour looking over the rest. Half the workers are still in the dirt I caught them in so they could pull all the eggs and larva out. I can't tell if any of those workers have mites.

So I figure there are only a few things I could do.

1. Take the queen with only a few workers maybe a dozen and a few eggs and larva. And place the rest back where I found them. That way I could more closely keep an eye on the colony.

2. Release them.

3. Just wait and see if more appear.

4. Try ways of killing mites. I haven't found anything online that will definitely work

I searched for ways to get rid of parasitic mites, nothing seemed to promising. So I'm wondering if anyone here has been through this using a host colony. I haven't seen anymore mites I'm sure they are there just too small to see. If there is anything I can do or should do please let me know. This is my first ever parasitic queen and I really want to keep her.

#2 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 3 2019 - 2:27 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Pictures? Also some advice:

1) put some rice and the mites could come off, or if you’re sure they’re bloodsuckers, I don’t know.
2) dip the workers in water for a couple seconds (it’s immensely stressful)

Good luck.

#3 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 3 2019 - 2:49 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm pretty sure there blood sucking mights. They looked like the ones I found online. I decided to put most of them back outside. I kept about 100 workers that I didn't see any in and a lot of brood. I also cleaned a new setup and gave them a different set up. I will try the rice still. Thank you

I'll go through some pics to see if I still have some if the mites

Edited by AntJohnny, April 3 2019 - 2:49 PM.

#4 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 3 2019 - 2:57 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
http://imgur.com/gallery/Tl8EybQ

Anytime I try to upload anything on here with my phone it messes up. I am not good with electronics lol. I will put a video on imgur and link it here. In the video you can see a worker to the left and a worker to the right with a red mite on there back legs.

Edited by AntJohnny, April 3 2019 - 3:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users