• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this mold?

mold c.cerasi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jean - Posted March 27 2019 - 8:10 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

Hey All,

Am wondering if this looks like mold in my formicarium...kind of leaning toward yes.

If so, what on earth do I do? Have had these gals in this home only about 3 months.

I fill the water tower nearly full daily - am now wondering if this is way too often.

Also posting a recent pic of the adorable c. Cerasi drinking (not from water tower) in the outworld.

Thanks!

c. cerasi drinking
Album: mold and c.cerasi
3 images
0 comments

Edited by Jean, March 27 2019 - 8:12 PM.

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 27 2019 - 8:28 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Yes that's mold. You don't really have to worry about it too much. It's growing there because your ants have probably piled trash near the edges where the nest comes into contact with the glass, which is normal. I wouldn't bother with the mold because it's not likely to hurt your ants. In fact, for them, it's just all part of the terrain. Since it is also growing from the ants' waste, you can just wait until it starts becoming a nuisance and obscuring your view of the ants or if it grows too fast.

• drtrmiller likes this

#3 Online Zeiss - Posted March 27 2019 - 8:30 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

That indeed looks like mold to me. If you want to clean it out, my opinion would be to remove the colony, clean it with dilute bleach or just 70-90% isopropyl alcohol, rinse it with water, then let out to dry.  I would let the nest dry a bit before adding any more water when giving it to the colony.

Edited by Zeiss, March 27 2019 - 8:32 PM.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 27 2019 - 9:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I can't tell whether it's mold or algae on the front glass.  Unless I just was unable to see the same thing everyone else is talking about, I wouldn't recommend doing a thing.  Ants that live in dirt and dead wood and other outdoor spaces are going to be exposed to all kinds of molds and microorganisms.

Mold in a test tube or formicarium is typically only unhealthy if it gets out of control.  What I see in the photo should be able to be managed by avoiding feeding the colony large prey items which are dragged whole into the nest, or overfeeding in general.  Also try to keep the temperature stable so there isn't an opportunity for condensation to occur on any of the surfaces, as wet surfaces can become breeding grounds for mold and bacteria.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Jean - Posted March 29 2019 - 5:39 AM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

Thanks for this great feedback. Less water in the tower is a good idea. I will otherwise monitor for out-of-control mold and not worry about cleaning when (or if) that happens.

#6 Offline anttics - Posted March 29 2019 - 11:39 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Get springtales. They eat mold. I used ut on my terrariums formicariums

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mold, c.cerasi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users