• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can you make a formicarium with cement?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 26 2019 - 4:28 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
My mom has no idea what plaster is so I'm kinda out of luck...

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2019 - 4:57 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Cement will work, just add some perilite to it to make it lighter and more absorbent.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted April 3 2019 - 4:49 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If his mum doesn't know what plaster is I'm fairly sure she doesn't know what perlite is either...

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 3 2019 - 4:56 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Cement is a material commonly found in commercial formicaries; Ytong/AAC is made from aerated cement.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 3 2019 - 6:52 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Cement is a material commonly found in commercial formicaries; Ytong/AAC is made from aerated cement.

Is aerated cement found in hardware stores? Or do you literally just aerate cement?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 3 2019 - 6:55 AM.

#6 Offline GeorgeK - Posted April 3 2019 - 7:29 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Is aerated cement found in hardware stores? Or do you literally just aerate cement?

It's sold as building material, in premade blocks. Usually stores sell at least a palette or more since its used for building houses but some companies sell them per piece ( ytong ).

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 3 2019 - 7:35 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, the composition is in the name. Air + cement.

It's not used much in the United States, though. Very common building material elsewhere in the world.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 3 2019 - 7:38 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 3 2019 - 7:38 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

So I can just make AAC? Awesome. So how to aerate it properly?

#9 Offline GeorgeK - Posted April 3 2019 - 8:07 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

So I can just make AAC? Awesome. So how to aerate it properly?

They're mixture of sand and cement and water. As far as I've seen, once its poured, its mixed for 15 minutes with mixer that really just looks like big cake mixer. After that you'd have to dry it for few hours on 60*C after which you're supposed to put it in another chamber under 11 bars of pressure and 190*C for it to dry another 18-20 hours. After that it should be dried on room temperature for another 28 days.

Edited by GeorgeK, April 3 2019 - 8:08 AM.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 3 2019 - 8:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Oooook. Guess I'm not doing that lol.

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 3 2019 - 8:10 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If you're making the autoclaved variety, that sounds about right.

But a suitable replacement can also be made without an autoclave, in which it would just become autoclaved aerated concrete.

#12 Offline Barristan - Posted April 3 2019 - 8:18 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

This is a nice tutorial how to build an ant nest out of concrete (concrete is cement + water + sand + gravel):

Even if you don't understand German you should be able to follow the tutorial by just the pictures.

A nest made out of concrete is very heavy but ants can't chew through it, despite nests made out of plaster and even ytong.

My Camponous nicobarensis colony lived some time in such a nest (the youtuber sent me one as present):

IMG_1106.jpg

In the upper right chamber you can see canula through which water can be inserted. A version with a water tower would be even better I guess.

Edited by Barristan, April 3 2019 - 8:21 AM.

• mallonje likes this

#13 Offline Studio - Posted April 4 2019 - 6:45 PM

Studio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Keep in mind if you live in America, it's advised to stay away from most hardware store concrete mixes. Most of the ones we use here aren't aerated and doesn't hold or distribute moisture very well. Those who've used these cement in the past have had their colonies die out. The only cement that I know that works for ants are Ytong/AAC. If anybody knows if there are other types of cement that can be used for formicariums I would like to know as well. 

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2019 - 11:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Cement would work great as long as you don't expect it to absorb water, and you don't care how heavy it is. No ant species will be chewing through that. I plan to make a very large nest from concrete one of these days.

#15 Offline aznphenom - Posted November 30 2019 - 9:53 PM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Cement would work great as long as you don't expect it to absorb water, and you don't care how heavy it is. No ant species will be chewing through that. I plan to make a very large nest from concrete one of these days.

Have anyone made their cement formicarium? I just bought a formicarium made of portland cement and a fellow antkeeper said that cement can be toxic and from his personal experience and research. No one has successfully done it.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 1 2019 - 9:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Barristan posted pictures and video of a successful cement formicarium in this thread.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users