• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Maritimus

ants substrate what to do diy camponotus maritimus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline JenC - Posted March 25 2019 - 7:56 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Hey, I was wondering what specific substrate camp. maritimus likes/prefers. I have 4 queens into test tubes and I want to eventually add in substrate after they have their first generations of workers.

Also, I am wondering what protein and sugars they like.

Edited by JenC, March 25 2019 - 7:59 PM.

Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 25 2019 - 8:07 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Hey, I was wondering what specific substrate camp. maritimus likes/prefers. I have 4 queens into test tubes and I want to eventually add in substrate after they have their first generations of workers.

Also, I am wondering what protein and sugars they like.

They don't really need substrate, and if you put it in their nesting area, they will most likely clear it out over time. For proteins, fruit flies, crickets, termites (if you can find them) and other small insects work well. You can also feed your camponotus freeze-dried bloodworms or egg yolk, fish, and other meat (I find chicken usually works very well). Honey and sunburst ant nectar work out well to give them carbohydrates; you can also use homemade recipes for hummingbird nectar, but they are extremely prone to fermentation.

• YsTheAnt likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, substrate, what to do, diy, camponotus maritimus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users