• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayn's Pogonomyrmex californicus journal (one queen) 3-24-19

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 24 2019 - 4:58 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I got the one of two last colonies left in this area, of Pogonomyrmex californicus. I'm hoping maybe there are colonies further out than I can get to and I can get alates later this year. Then I can add queens to the colony. Or maybe a colony or two will pop up and are late to waking up. What is cool though. This particular variety of Pogonomyrmex californicus have multiple queens and co-exist with each other. Can take workers from one area, go to a completely new colony with its own queen and they join each other's colonies like they are their own. Its a shame they added so much irrigation around them though, cause this allowed Argentine ants to move in.

As for colony, its in a small polycarbonate jar with about 40 workers and the queen. I used the same substrate they were nesting. I don't really have much to add as they haven't even really dug yet, and no pictures yet. But I wanted to get the journal up so I remember the date I got the colony.

Also, this will be my first colony after 1+ years of having no actual ant colony. :)

• Karma likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users