• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(Grain?) mites spotted

mites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Myrmarauder - Posted March 21 2019 - 12:56 PM

Myrmarauder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I saw one in my outworld maybe a week or 2 ago and thought I removed it along with that night's dinner. I think they hitched a ride on some superworms. 

Does anyone have experience dealing with non-parasitic mites? I haven't seen any on my ants but I do see some in the formicarium now (not just the outworld that I removed to clean it and bake the sand). I'm not sure they're causing direct harm but I don't want the population to balloon to the point where the outworld is infested. Would that happen? I saw something about beneficial mites that help with cleaning, I guess similar to springtails in a vivarium, but I feel like it's better to be safe than sorry right?

Really considering ordering a new formicarium from Drew for them to just start fresh (or perhaps just go all out with one of his large C fragilis colonies he still has)

Also, I have been having constant die offs and I can't figure out why. I have the colony in an incubator t a constant 83-84 degrees. I just had a new worker born this week and I saw her stumbling around the outworld last night. Found her dead in the same corner I found the rest of the colony's workers. They were my first colony (C. fragilis) so I think there were some growing pains in the beginning but I thought we'd turned a corner with the incubator and steady flow of superworms (they're picky eaters and I'm terrible at going out for crickets).

Sorry this post kind of turned into a 2-for but any help here would be amazing!

got some pictures (looping because that has more detail than the stills):

mites_2
mites_1

Edited by Myrmarauder, March 21 2019 - 2:40 PM.

#2 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted March 22 2019 - 6:09 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I wasn’t able to see the video on my phone for some reason. But they could be grain mites. I get those in my fruit fly cultures. And they could be in the food/bedding your meal works came in. If it’s those I don’t think they harm the colony, but they are annoying to look at inside the ant nest. I think they just eventually die if they don’t have grain to eat. The more worrisome kind would be the kind that actually attaches themselves to the ants.

#3 Offline Myrmarauder - Posted March 22 2019 - 4:29 PM

Myrmarauder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks Joe, that's good to know because I spotted one in my Formica francouri's outworld today also. I hope I got rid of them by cleaning the C fragilis outworld and baking the sand... or at least rid of any chance they'd lay eggs (since I think I saw one in their nest after I detached the outworld).

I'm pretty sure they're grain/food mites. I just don't want them to proliferate to the point where the ants are miserable and die. I haven't seen any on or near ants just kinda roaming the outworlds mostly.

I'll try to fix the image - it makes sense that they're actually videos once I make them loop and I've only been able to post videos on here through youtube I believe.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 23 2019 - 1:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh I think those are some kind of spider mites. I have them in pretty much all of my colonies. They are beneficial actually and never harm the ants.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 23 2019 - 4:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I have these in my colony's outworlds too. They are really good in my Brachyponera terrarium because they eat the left-overs.

#6 Offline Myrmarauder - Posted March 29 2019 - 6:15 PM

Myrmarauder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the replies, Ant_Dude and Drew!
It's so good to know I don't have foreign invaders in there that can cause real harm.

Drew I don't know how you're so active on here and hold down a real job. I was stoked about keeping a journal on here... that lasted all of like 2 weeks haha

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 29 2019 - 7:01 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Drew I don't know how you're so active on here and hold down a real job. I was stoked about keeping a journal on here... that lasted all of like 2 weeks haha

That is one mystery I have been thinking about too, lol.
  • Myrmarauder likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users