• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants that post Sentry's

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Xanuri - Posted March 20 2019 - 8:33 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

FSTP and I had a brief chat the other day where he asked me if my C. fragilis post a guard at the entrance to the nest. My response was yes, there is always one there, unless spooked they may retreat but usually return in fairly short order. So I wanted to open this up as a topic of discussion in the following format:

1. If you are keeping C. fragilis have you noticed this behavior?
  2. What detail can you share about the behavior with this sp.?
  3. Do you have any other sp. that practices this behavior and if so what sp. is it, and any details?

From my observations of C. fragilis, I have seen them post two sentry's one at the nest entrance and another at the queen's chamber entrance, so even if the nest entrance worker leaves her post briefly to check on things or to venture slightly outside of the nest entrance the Queen's chamber sentry is there

Since my colony is small with only 6 workers, it might be easier to determine this behavior, but it is certainly interesting to watch.

I can definitely say with confidence that the S. xyloni colony I have do not exhibit this behavior at all, nor have I ever witnessed it in the S. sp. in the wild I guess for these ants there would be way too many entrances to guard and they don't worry about it due to sheer numbers.

What have you observed?

Edited by Xanuri, March 20 2019 - 8:42 AM.

• FSTP and OhNoNotAgain like this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 20 2019 - 8:52 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
All Camponotus I have seen do this too. Mainly though my Camponotus chromaiodes colony.
  • AntsBC likes this

#3 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 20 2019 - 12:31 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
My Camponotus hyatti colony exhibits the same behavior. They have sentries at one outworld entrance and both nest entrances. They won’t budge from their positions even when you create a disturbance in the form of tapping or something.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline Xanuri - Posted March 20 2019 - 4:53 PM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Here is a pic of mine on sentry duty!

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 20 2019 - 4:55 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

They are very colorful ants. I going to have to settle for C. castaneus though. (y)  

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#6 Offline Xanuri - Posted March 20 2019 - 5:00 PM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

They are very colorful ants. I going to have to settle for C. castaneus though. (y)  

We don't have those here in AZ.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 20 2019 - 5:09 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I know you don't. But I do!

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#8 Offline anttics - Posted March 20 2019 - 10:46 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I have video evidence. Once you get lots of majors maybe 50. They will have 3 to 4 majors in the entrace at all times. At night sentries double. With dozens of minors around the entrance. Majors heads covering most of the entrance. Ill video night activities. when I get a chance.

https://i.imgur.com/JngJfVT.gifv
  • Jadeninja9 likes this

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted March 24 2019 - 1:24 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

It seems some of my honey post have an ant worker hanging out around the entrance, but its not quite as disciplined and consistant as my Fragilis. In this video of mine you can see at the cork entrance that the worker sitting in the entrance does not leave her post. Then behind her there are a couple of majors. but ususally its just a normal worker in the entrance and then a major or two behind her.

Edited by FSTP, March 24 2019 - 1:26 AM.

#10 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 16 2020 - 4:47 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Interesting. I'm totally going to check this out with C. fragilis. In a mini-hearth would the sentry be outside the nest in the outworld, or inside the nest? I haven't seen any staying outside the nest in the outworld. How long do they stay in place?

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, January 16 2020 - 4:47 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#11 Offline AntsBC - Posted January 16 2020 - 7:02 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

I've observed my Formica pacifica, quite distinctively might I add, have workers guarding the tubing that connects their out world to their nest.  

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 17 2020 - 8:02 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Army ants such as eciton or dorylus often send out hundreds of sentries to guard their raiding columns. I've also seen this behavior in rufa group formica colonies, which have many workers on the surface of the mound or in the outworld with their gasters tucked in the defensive position.

#13 Offline Serafine - Posted January 17 2020 - 10:45 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

• If you are keeping C. fragilis have you noticed this behavior?
  • What detail can you share about the behavior with this sp.?
  • Do you have any other sp. that practices this behavior and if so what sp. is it, and any details?

1. No.
2. -
3. Camponotus barbaricus (small colony had ants sitting at the entrances, large colony has ants sitting everywhere).
Myrmica rubra (colony of 200 ants, there's always 10-20 workers in front of the tube).

Edited by Serafine, January 17 2020 - 10:45 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 17 2020 - 4:41 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Moat cephalotes species, colobopsis species, a few pheidole species, a few carebara species, and certain ants like proceratiines and a certain attine(forgot the name) will have gurad queens. Proceratiines uniquely using their abdomen segments as a shield.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users