• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I froze an ant and it still hasn't woken up yet. Is it dead?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:32 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Guys STFU don't make me mad I just don't want to start another fight. I got banned in r/pets cuz of a fight.

None of us have tried to make you mad, we have been trying to get answers. You're the only person getting mad right now by saying "STFU."

If it is not obvious enough, you probably got banned from that board because you probably tried to post stuff where an animal would be harmed.

#22 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:37 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Really? Don't make me mad?? How about behaving in a mature manner and not start fights like a child.

Stop giving me flashbacks to where I got falsely accused of animal abuse

Guys STFU don't make me mad I just don't want to start another fight. I got banned in r/pets cuz of a fight.

None of us have tried to make you mad, we have been trying to get answers. You're the only person getting mad right now by saying "STFU."
If it is not obvious enough, you probably got banned from that board because you probably tried to post stuff where an animal would be harmed.
IT WAS NOT MY FAULT

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#23 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:42 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Uh painting a living ant is not animal cruelty? Sure seems like it to me.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#24 Offline Leo - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:44 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Really? Don't make me mad?? How about behaving in a mature manner and not start fights like a child.

Stop giving me flashbacks to where I got falsely accused of animal abuse

IT WAS NOT MY FAULT

I harm mosquitoes badly.

Other than that I aM sO cOnFuSed

#25 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 19 2019 - 2:48 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
Alright, so you say it was not your fault. You still reacted harshly in here for no reason and what proof do you have from r/pets that nothing was your fault there? I'll make an account and go see for myself the reason you got banned.

You have also been avoiding my question, which seems to confirm you are doing it on living ants. I'm not sure why you think this is a fun activity, but we would probably like to know if there is a better reason than just for fun. Many consider this to be animal cruelty.

You are acting very unreasonably right now and I would like to keep more members in the community, but being argumentative about things will make enemies, which you have already begun to do by acting so harshly.

#26 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 3:00 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Alright, so you say it was not your fault. You still reacted harshly in here for no reason and what proof do you have from r/pets that nothing was your fault there? I'll make an account and go see for myself the reason you got banned.
You have also been avoiding my question, which seems to confirm you are doing it on living ants. I'm not sure why you think this is a fun activity, but we would probably like to know if there is a better reason than just for fun. Many consider this to be animal cruelty.
You are acting very unreasonably right now and I would like to keep more members in the community, but being argumentative about things will make enemies, which you have already begun to do by acting so harshly.

https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

#27 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 19 2019 - 3:15 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
Alright, the posts started out good, but I saw you getting angry towards a lot of people. I understand you could be frustrated, there are a lot of internet trolls out there, but you'll just have to ignore them.

You were asking people from countries most likely very different than the Philippines, so obviously you will get very different views. There are many people who get offended over nothing and will attack you for no reason.

While you may encounter that, as I said above, not getting upset at upset people will help you a lot.

Back to ants, I still think it is a bad idea to color your ants, they will die from the chemicals in the coloring. It is considered animal cruelty to do something like that. Hopefully you reconsider and try to grow the ant colonies you have.

#28 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 3:18 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Alright, the posts started out good, but I saw you getting angry towards a lot of people. I understand you could be frustrated, there are a lot of internet trolls out there, but you'll just have to ignore them.
You were asking people from countries most likely very different than the Philippines, so obviously you will get very different views. There are many people who get offended over nothing and will attack you for no reason.
While you may encounter that, as I said above, not getting upset at upset people will help you a lot.
Back to ants, I still think it is a bad idea to color your ants, they will die from the chemicals in the coloring. It is considered animal cruelty to do something like that. Hopefully you reconsider and try to grow the ant colonies you have.

Ok. finally this ended calmly

#29 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 19 2019 - 3:27 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
If you wanted to paint it to mark or something, I'm pretty sure those markers that beekeepers use to mark queen bees would be safe for ants, too.

#30 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted March 19 2019 - 5:12 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Bro why are you painting your ant though? I know that was asked already, but I’m just curious. Also you should have put the queen in the fridge for 5 minutes to slow her down. A good rule of thumb is don’t put anything alive in the freezer you don’t intend on killing. You probably could have frozen that ant even if it’s from the Philippines, but you would have had to do it gradually. Like over the course of a few weeks.

Also since you both mentioned and posted the link of your reddit thread asking if it’s cruel to chain up a dog all day long for it’s entire life the answer is yes, that’s very cruel. Especially that one dog that is chained to the ceiling. Why is the chain so short? You should increase the length of the chains so they can walk through the entire covered section you guys have there. Or maybe just fence in that section then you don’t need the chains at all. Love all those plants you have set there, looks great.

#31 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 5:13 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Bro why are you painting your ant though? I know that was asked already, but I’m just curious. Also you should have put the queen in the fridge for 5 minutes to slow her down. A good rule of thumb is don’t put anything alive in the freezer you don’t intend on killing. You probably could have frozen that ant even if it’s from the Philippines, but you would have had to do it gradually. Like over the course of a few weeks.
Also since you both mentioned and posted the link of your reddit thread asking if it’s cruel to chain up a dog all day long for it’s entire life the answer is yes, that’s very cruel. Especially that one dog that is chained to the ceiling. Why is the chain so short? You should increase the length of the chains so they can walk through the entire covered section you guys have there. Or maybe just fence in that section then you don’t need the chains at all. Love all those plants you have set there, looks great.

That wasn't a queen. it's just a regular odontoponera. Also I don't want to talk about that chain topic anymore.

#32 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 19 2019 - 5:29 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I think i might've made a big mistake telling this guy about our forums...

#33 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 5:32 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Fine then. I'll leave.

#34 Offline Leo - Posted March 19 2019 - 5:42 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

you did?

#35 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 6:17 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

you did?
He didn't... You guys are treating me like garbage. :(

#36 Offline GeorgeK - Posted March 19 2019 - 7:07 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

you did?

Based on all the information so far, you treat other animals like garbage. Don't do to others what you don't want to be done onto you.

#37 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 19 2019 - 7:10 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

you did?
Based on all the information so far, you treat other animals like garbage. Don't do to others what you don't want to be done onto you.
Not the dog. How could I have known using a marker was dangerous on an ant? I didn't know how the Illuminati first began

#38 Offline GeorgeK - Posted March 19 2019 - 7:58 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Not the dog. How could I have known using a marker was dangerous on an ant? I didn't know how the Illuminati first began

Markers either have a clearly written NON TOXIC sign on them, or have a skull with crossed bones on it. Would you trust something with skull and crossed bones on it to be safe?

#39 Offline Serafine - Posted March 19 2019 - 9:50 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The marker isn't the issue. If it's a non-toxic marker you can mark the back of the ant (top of thorax and abdomen) without issue.

You obviously cannot paint the entire ant because the ant needs her eyes and antennae to navigate, if you paint over those (and her breathing holes near the underside her abdomen segment) she's just going to die.

Also you cannot put tropical ants into a fridge, they have no way to deal with colder temperatures they never experience in the wild and they will just die.

Edited by Serafine, March 19 2019 - 9:53 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#40 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted March 19 2019 - 10:23 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Also you cannot put tropical ants into a fridge, they have no way to deal with colder temperatures they never experience in the wild and they will just die.

They do have a way of dealing with it because they are insects. It’s called diapause. I understand that the species wouldn’t experience it in the Philippines. But they are still insects that have the ability to enter that diapause.

Edited by Joehostile85, March 19 2019 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users