• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I found a wingless Odontoponera Queen ant. What should I do now?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 17 2019 - 4:44 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

I heard they get their energy from the wing muscles. But they don't have wings. Or maybe just the muscles where the wings used to be. Help it's currently in a test tube alone.

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 17 2019 - 5:55 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Not to be rude, but please try replying to one of the topics you already made. When you make many threads about the same general thing, it can clutter the feed and make it so other people's topics aren't seen as much.

To answer your question, although your queen has she'd her wings, her muscles are still there. Claustral queens are able to sustain themselves with fat reserves and wing muscles.

However, your queen is probably semi-claustral. That means she collects food, as she does not have enough fat reserves to raise workers. Feed her sweet foods like honey for her, as well protein for her larvae, such as insects.

Edited by Ants4fun, March 17 2019 - 5:56 AM.

#3 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 17 2019 - 6:27 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Not to be rude, but please try replying to one of the topics you already made. When you make many threads about the same general thing, it can clutter the feed and make it so other people's topics aren't seen as much.

To answer your question, although your queen has she'd her wings, her muscles are still there. Claustral queens are able to sustain themselves with fat reserves and wing muscles.

However, your queen is probably semi-claustral. That means she collects food, as she does not have enough fat reserves to raise workers. Feed her sweet foods like honey for her, as well protein for her larvae, such as insects.

how do i feed her in a test tube?

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 17 2019 - 6:58 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Just put a very small amount near the open end of the tube

#5 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 17 2019 - 10:16 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Or just put the test tube in a small Tupperware container, or a small outworld.

#6 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted March 17 2019 - 10:38 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I heard they get their energy from the wing muscles. But they don't have wings. Or maybe just the muscles where the wings used to be. Help it's currently in a test tube alone.

They eat springtails

#7 Offline Leo - Posted March 17 2019 - 3:59 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

They eat springtails

no, mainly termites

#8 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 17 2019 - 4:12 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
Do I open the test tube when I get an outworld? Idk how the outworld and the test tube homes works

Edited by Hightlyze, March 17 2019 - 4:13 PM.

#9 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 18 2019 - 3:50 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Yes, you would open up the test tube once it is attached to the out world. The test tube is the acting nest, and the out world is where she would forage for food. You would not mess with the test tube much and only touch the out world. Leaving food near the entrance of the test tube will increase the chance she will find it. 

#10 Offline Hightlyze - Posted March 18 2019 - 4:40 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Yes, you would open up the test tube once it is attached to the out world. The test tube is the acting nest, and the out world is where she would forage for food. You would not mess with the test tube much and only touch the out world. Leaving food near the entrance of the test tube will increase the chance she will find it.

Do I have to place other things or is that it? I'll leave it alone and give food until it lays an egg?

#11 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 18 2019 - 3:57 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA
That is pretty much it. As long as there is water in the test tube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users