• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan Camponotus pennsylvanicus 2 colony's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntJohnny - Posted March 14 2019 - 8:36 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
Hello all

I am still a beginner to ant keeping.
So I am not very experienced to ant keeping. I became interested in ants in the very beginning of winter.

So after I learned anything I could I purchased a queen Camponotus pennsylvanicus. With 10 or so workers and 3 eggs. Through the Gan project. I kept them in hibernation for about 2 and a half months. After I took the colony out. Almost immediately the queen started to lay eggs. As of today.March 15 she has about 26 workers, and nearly 100 brood.

The second colony I have is a whole other story I will post if any one is interested. That colony has about 100 workers and the queen just started laying eggs again. I first saw the eggs today after water the terrium I have them in. They are in a natural setup with dirt and wood. The small colony I have, is in a plastic Tupperware in test tubes, and reptile sand. Basicly a tubs and tube setup.

#2 Offline AntJohnny - Posted March 14 2019 - 8:45 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I will upload pics and explain everything a little better when I have time to use my computer. Using my phone is making it difficult.

#3 Offline AntJohnny - Posted April 1 2019 - 4:29 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
http://imgur.com/gallery/FJw4Bjy

If anyone is interested seeing the colonies and my setups for them.

I keep there temparture around 90 in the day and 70 at night. I found this the best for them to have there larav and pupa grow the fastest.

#4 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 1 2019 - 6:25 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You can upload photos on the Formiculture gallery, and plaster the image link directly onto the post, to get a full image. Here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users