• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

L.A. area

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dargus - Posted March 9 2019 - 5:53 PM

Dargus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Hey I'm from California L.A. area to be precise I'm new to the hobby and excited to learn as much as I can from everyone here.

My interest with ants began shortly after moving out on my own for the first time. I spent a large part of that summer battling ants that seemed to find a way into my apartment no matter what I tried. I couldn't help but admire their persistence and tenacity. Then one day my mortal foes stopped showing up. I learned a lot that summer like using talcum powder to keep them out of areas and cleaning up their trails with vinegar. I also learned for the first time ever that ants hibernate or as I've recently learned the correct term brumate. A fact that i was oblivious to. My interest faded as I moved away and got married the following year and i forgot all about my foes. Fast forward to a few months ago when I found out there was more to ant keeping than the old milton ant farms and here i am.

Tldr; got interested in ants after spending a summer fighting them over the rights to my first apartment.

Even though you may not know me yet a lot of you have already been a huge help to me as I've read journal after journal. Thanks and can't wait to get to know everyone.

My first attempt is going to be with some veromessor pergandei I got from Nurb can't wait to help and watch them grow. Any tips are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 9 2019 - 6:33 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum.  Hopefully you'll find more use in the forum. 

Be sure to check out the Important Topics above the Latest Posts in the top right of the home page, maybe that will help more with navigation of the forum and answering basic questions you may have.

#3 Offline Dargus - Posted March 9 2019 - 7:48 PM

Dargus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Thanks, already making great use of the forum.

Edited by Dargus, March 9 2019 - 7:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users