• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tennessee Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 8 2019 - 9:41 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
This will be used by Tennessee anters to report flight sightings and stay in touch. :)

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 8 2019 - 9:45 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
There should be some Prenolepis flights on Wednesday and Thursday. Weather is going to be in the mid 70's! Get your vials ready!
  • Clumsy_Carp likes this

#3 Offline Clumsy_Carp - Posted March 13 2019 - 8:59 AM

Clumsy_Carp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationJackson, TN

There should be some Prenolepis flights on Wednesday and Thursday. Weather is going to be in the mid 70's! Get your vials ready!

Awesome I will be on the lookout 

Thanks for starting this thread.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 13 2019 - 9:01 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

No problem! They are probably flying right now actually.

#5 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 13 2019 - 3:03 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Oh my GOD, Prenos are flying??????

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 13 2019 - 3:59 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
They just got done flying actually. I failed to find a queen. :( Hundreds of males though. Tomorrow they will fly again.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 13 2019 - 7:08 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
The Pheidole colonies are opening up their nests!

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 13 2019 - 7:33 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Lucky brats... no good flights.... (n) :*( :(

Edited by Rstheant, March 13 2019 - 7:34 PM.

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 20 2019 - 10:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

It is finally Spring!!! Camponotus, Formica and Solenopsis will be flying shortly!

#10 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted March 20 2019 - 6:55 PM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN

Indeed! Formica are more later on around our parts. From my seeing anyway but I hope like he'll to get a Solenopsis queen this year. There are about 8 Solenopsis richteri nests at my mother's house and I'm determined to get another this year. didn't have time last year. I also plan to get another Camponotus castaneus this year. Miss the one I managed to find my first year into the hobby. She was doing absolutely fantastic with like 15+ workers her first year! Long story...but the colony didn't survive. End of this month and start of April is great for Camponotus pennsylvanicus. Want to get me another one of them as well. My first year i had like 9 of them lol. Traded and gave away all but 2 to friends. Something went wrong with hibernation tho and lost just the queens once they came out of diapose. I managed to get 2 majors with the bigger of the 2 in year 1. Was devistated...like this thread though. Once Formica subserica and Formica pallidefulva start flying, they are all over my area if anyone is looking and would like me to get some. Gonna be a good year I think!

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 21 2019 - 4:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Is it possible for a mod to delete this? (Double post)

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 21 2019 - 4:32 AM.

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 21 2019 - 4:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
F. subsericea are seldom found in my woods...:ugone2far: But there is one HUGE colony under a rock that flies a lot in July-August. If you find more Solenopsis queens, I may want one! :)

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 21 2019 - 4:34 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Oh, and yeah...

Species: Prenolepis imparis
Date: 3-20-29
Time: 6:30 pm
Temperature: 65 F
Humidity:%60
Wind: N/A
Rain: 2 weeks ago

#14 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted March 21 2019 - 11:10 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN

My house is surrounded by Formica. I have found plenty of them and also Colobopsis. They are to small for my liking though. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 21 2019 - 12:26 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

ATTENTION ALL TENNESSEE ANTKEEPERS. I JUST FOUND A BUNCH OF CAMPONOTUS AMERICANUS   ALATES IN A NEST! THEY ARE FLYING SHORTLY! CHECK EVERY NIGHT.

My house is surrounded by Formica. I have found plenty of them and also Colobopsis. They are to small for my liking though.

I would love some Colobopsis!

hUutZuFFifOm8AHW9u3zYCDNFZW9zNk3M9iuxBpZ

wFR6UaZpoTpafleqBjQiS1cvG6ofGvcGmNrPWh1p

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 21 2019 - 12:37 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 21 2019 - 12:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I also got back from the woods and got what appears to be a Solenopsis sp. colony, and a Camponotus subbarbatus colony. The Camponotus subbarbatus are up for grabs!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 21 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#17 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted March 25 2019 - 11:33 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
Getting colonies already established isn't a good thing in my opinion. Unless they are in danger, your best bet is to leave them be and raise them from queens caught during a nuptial flight. You put so much stress on a colony when you take them from an already established location. You do what you want but true ant keeping doesn't involve destroying a colony for ones own personal gain...its just not right. Which brings me to ask, the colony you are wanting to trade, you said you have had them for just a few months I believe...were they captured in this manner as well? don't take this as me bashing you or anything because I'm not. I am just stating that the way you collect and "boost" colonies...you are doing way more harm than good.
  • FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2019 - 3:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
They were, but it was a queen with two workers in fire wood. It was actually already in the fire pit.

#19 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2019 - 4:23 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
The reason why I collect colonies is because when I lived in Washington, I lived in the city and couldn't, so I guess I have been taking advantage of the fact that I live in Tennessee, in the middle of nowhere, with new and different ants. This year I am definitely going to get more queens though!

Edit: How is collecting queens from flights any different? Also by collecting young colonies I am doing them a favor by giving them a good home, food, water and health. 90 plus percent of colonies never make it to maturity in the wild. In captivity, it is much lower than that, at around 40 percent for me. Take my second largest C. chromaiodes colony for example. They were doing terribly I'm the wild, probably on their last breaths. The queen was about half as big as a healthy queen of her speices. Now she is healthy with almost 100 workers. They never would have made it that far it they were I'm the wild. Also, I am never awake when the Camponotus have their flights. I usually dig up founding chambers. (I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to make a point.)

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 26 2019 - 4:55 AM.

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2019 - 4:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

There's no doubt your are providing a good home for your ants and helping them in the short term. The issue I see is that they are being effectively removed from the breeding pool, which could have a negative overall effect in the long term on the species locally. Colonies send out way more queens than will ever survive in nuptial flights, so there is a natural redundancy. Capturing a few queens right after flights has a lesser impact, I believe, than removing colonies that have already made it past the perilous founding stage. I'm personally opposed to the practice of capturing wild colonies, and I would like to see more members of this forum taking a stand against the practice. This is just my opinion, and by no means do I wish to put you down.

• xTNxANTMANx, FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users