• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A Little Wasp Experiment With My Aphaenogaster carolinensis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 4:41 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

While walking to the park today, I saw two Aphaenogaster carolinensis workers, but one of them was a lot brighter in coloration. She dropped to the ground, and I couldn't find her. I started to turn away, and I saw her, and quickly realized that she was not an ant! She looked very similar to Aphaenogaster carolinensis, but had the movements of a mantid! I got her home and identified her as a Gonatopodinae wasp, which look really cool! I was trying to find information on them, but could find nothing, so I'm gonna do a little research of my own. I want to see what these wasps are all about by introducing her to my Aphaenogaster carolinensis colony. I'm hoping they just act like Myrmecophilus that just live among them and cause no harm, but are fed by the ants, but this is a wasp, and from what I've heard, wasps are little a-holes most of the time, so I'll see...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 17 2019 - 4:46 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Wow! I’m excited about this :)
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

Spoiler

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2019 - 7:16 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

She wasn't entering the nest after several hours. I put her into my Aphaenogaster lamellidens nest instead. She entered after only a few seconds...and was instantly attacked from all angles, held down, stretched out, and torn apart... :(

• FSTP likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 17 2019 - 7:56 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Oof rip :(