• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

News - Ant larvae defend their homes by eating eggs laid by intruders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted March 6 2019 - 11:01 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA
https://www.newscien...d-by-intruders/

Wow, that means they can smell while in larva state and can difference between friend and foe.
  • Barristan, Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 6 2019 - 11:10 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Interesting, that means they have better detection than the actual workers and queen?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted March 7 2019 - 1:34 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

To add to this post because I think it needs more attention:

I wonder if brood/larvae that are stolen and taken back to other nests ever try to eat the foreigners around them.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 7 2019 - 4:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I never thought about that...

#5 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted March 11 2019 - 1:38 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky
I wonder if they would try eating another larva as well...

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#6 Offline Joehostile85 - Posted March 12 2019 - 5:46 AM

Joehostile85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
All I got from that article is that ant larvae consume food, but they won’t eat their own colonies eggs as food. I doubt that has anything to do with defending their nest from parasitic ants. Especially since the study said only 11% of the parasitic eggs were eaten. I’m sure those larvae would have eaten any species of eggs, not just eggs from a parasitic species. What is interesting is if the larvae can tell the eggs are foreign, but somehow the workers aren’t able to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users