• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(its just a dumb Argentine ant) Small-medium sized worker (Southern California, Orange County)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2019 - 11:43 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Almost double the size of an Argentine ant worker, and loves to climb. I at first thought maybe Hypoponera opacior because we have a lot of those around, but she is too big for Hypoponera opacior. The other difference is I never had Hypoponera want to climb at all, what so ever and they are kinda slow. This worker is slow, but then goes really fast when climbing. I've never seen a worker ant like this here before in the apartment complex, and she is pretty decent sized. She as long as the Pheidole megacephala soldiers, but not as beefy. I found the worker on top of our grill on our porch, so I dunno how she managed to get up there and couldn't find anymore workers like her. She also has a weird shaped head I noticed.

I also noticed she tucks her legs into her body, but then like a spring, the legs jump out and her legs are actually pretty long for her body size. I'm not sure if the tucking in legs in her body means she is injured or something as I've never seen that behavior but its almost like a very tiny jump. But I notice she only does that if I move her around. Also her legs are super "sticky", if she ends up on my finger its really hard to get her off.

Here are some pictures

Spoiler

Edited by Vendayn, March 5 2019 - 7:14 PM.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 11:47 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

It's hard to tell from the pics, but possibly a Lasius species?

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2019 - 11:49 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

It's hard to tell from the pics, but possibly a Lasius species?

Hm, I'll look into it. I've never seen Laisus here before though, all that I've seen around are invasive ants. So whatever it is has to survive the endless hordes of Argentine ants that are everywhere here. The hillsides, the river, the entire complex, hordes and hordes of Argentine ants.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 11:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Maybe just a large Linepithema worker? Or Tapinoma sessile?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 5 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2019 - 11:57 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Maybe just a large Linepithema worker?

That could just be it. But I've never seen one this large. I compared her to the Argentine ants in front of the door, and then the ones in the river area and she is almost double the length of the ones out front+river area. Maybe she just grew to be very big, if she is just an Argentine ant worker. If so, I think she is the biggest Argentine ant worker I've ever seen lol.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 12:01 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Maybe the ones you are used to seeing are small nanitics? How long in millimeters? Or you found the first Argentine ant major.. 

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 5 2019 - 12:02 PM.

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2019 - 12:23 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Argentine ants tend to be all the same size. Their only size variety comes from the climate they are in. I've seen larger Argentine ant workers in dry/semi-arid areas, but not nearly to this extent.

Also, the color doesn't really match any around here either. Plus, Argentine ants don't have super sticky legs like this worker does. Any time I have Argentine ants climb on me, its super easy to shake them off. That and I've never seen Argentine ants straighten out and look "flat" then spring out their legs, but then maybe the worker got injured or something for it to do that. Then again, I don't go around catching Argentine ants, so maybe they do that too?

Edited by Vendayn, March 5 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I dunno. Never actually seen one.

#9 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:53 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Argentine ants aren’t polymorphic, so defensive not a major. Does it have a triangle like head. I could be Camponotus. Maybe a Formica species too. I don’t know for sure. :thinking: :|

Edited by Rstheant, March 5 2019 - 2:54 PM.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:57 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Argentine ants aren’t polymorphic, so defensive not a major. Does it have a triangle like head. I could be Camponotus. Maybe a Formica species too. I don’t know for sure. :thinking: :|

I was joking about the whole major thing. :lol:

#11 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 5 2019 - 3:39 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I think it might be a small Liometopum occidentale worker, or perhaps L. luctosum.

Edited by YsTheAnt, March 5 2019 - 3:39 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#12 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 5:36 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
From where you live, it might be Liometopum luctosum.

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2019 - 5:43 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

For some reason I completely forgot about those... I agree.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 5 2019 - 6:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

For some reason I completely forgot about those... I agree.

I don't think those are going to be found at the elevation this ant was found at. They live where there are pine trees. Whatever it is, it sure doesn't look double the size of an Argentine ant to me.

#15 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2019 - 7:10 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I compared it and it wasn't quite double, but definitely longer and bulkier. That or its cause I need new eyeglasses (can't really even barely see text on my PC screen), but it still doesn't look like an Argentine ant. Maybe my eyes are too bad to get proper descriptions these days. But that is why I took pictures.

#16 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2019 - 7:13 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

So I took an Argentine ant outside the front door and put it in the test tube.

its just an argentine ant...

I think I need new glasses, cause I can't actually barely see anything. Even if I get really close to my monitor, its hard to see rofl. But can't afford any and don't have insurance for eyeglasses.

So mystery solved anyway

#17 Offline Apex - Posted March 6 2019 - 6:33 PM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I used to have argentines all around me, but the prenolepis have just been destroying them. Every year, argentines push but then got defeated, I used to have huge wars between them on my porch.

Edited by xXApexFuzeXx, March 6 2019 - 6:33 PM.

#18 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 6 2019 - 6:58 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Really, Prenolepis beating Argentine ants? The Prenolepis must have HUGE colonies to attack a typical sized colony of Argentines.  :chess:

#19 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 13 2019 - 8:52 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Prenolepis are Argentine kryptonite. They secrete a liquid that can slaughter argentines with ease. They are able to push them back so well for this reason, but also because most of their attacks are done in the winter months, when argentines are weakest.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users